Is it common to retake classes?

So yesterday I got some very discouraging news from one the programs I plan to apply to. For their prerequisites, it use to be an overall average of 3.0 and above. I made that easily. But now they have changed it to being 3.0 for each individual class. I make that just fine except for ONE class(microbiology). I have a B- in that class. Its so frustrating knowing one class is keeping me from applying. The women I was speaking to said I could retake it this summer and than apply(not rolling admission). That's even more frustrating to think about because I feel I'm backtracking. I know a lot of people take additional NEW classes to improve their gpa, but its hard knowing I'd have to take a class I already took.

But other side of the story is because of this same school's new requirement for GRE's, I've been studying to take them. I'm trying to decide if I should keep studying for GRE's and retake this class this summer(if even available), or forget this school and focus on other programs. There other programs outside my state that I was going to apply too but I've just been very discouraged since hearing this news yesterday. Is it common to retake courses? I pay for my schooling so money wise its adding up and hurts to think about paying for a class I already took lol

So yesterday I got some very discouraging news from one the programs I plan to apply to. For their prerequisites, it use to be an overall average of 3.0 and above. I made that easily. But now they have changed it to being 3.0 for each individual class. I make that just fine except for ONE class(microbiology). I have a B- in that class. Its so frustrating knowing one class is keeping me from applying. The women I was speaking to said I could retake it this summer and than apply(not rolling admission). That's even more frustrating to think about because I feel I'm backtracking. I know a lot of people take additional NEW classes to improve their gpa, but its hard knowing I'd have to take a class I already took.

But other side of the story is because of this same school's new requirement for GRE's, I've been studying to take them. I'm trying to decide if I should keep studying for GRE's and retake this class this summer(if even available), or forget this school and focus on other programs. There other programs outside my state that I was going to apply too but I've just been very discouraged since hearing this news yesterday. Is it common to retake courses? I pay for my schooling so money wise its adding up and hurts to think about paying for a class I already took lol

I had never heard of an issue like your's. If it were me, I would consider applying and some other schools as well next time.

Consider applying anyway to that school? Is that what you're saying? I will be applying to other schools when the application opens up in May. Just unsure about this school and is it worth the extra investment for just this one school. Not all schools require GRE so that's not necessarily a requirement but it would at the same time allow me to apply to more schools. Just a little confused by your response.

I had never heard of an issue like your's. If it were me, I would consider applying and some other schools as well next time.

Consider applying anyway to that school? Is that what you're saying? I will be applying to other schools when the application opens up in May. Just unsure about this school and is it worth the extra investment for just this one school. Not all schools require GRE so that's not necessarily a requirement but it would at the same time allow me to apply to more schools. Just a little confused by your response.

Sorry.

If it were me, I would apply to other schools. (I had not heard of a program that makes you get a B in every science class. Lots of people don't get one in organic, for example.)

I would take the GRE anyway; some other schools require it as well and you would be eligible to apply to them.

I don't know that I would invest in taking a class over to get from a B- to a B, especially if money is a big limiting factor. If you don't take it over and you correctly understand the school's requirement to have a B in every course, then I don't see why you would reapply there.

If you are really set on continuing to go for the school that turned you down,

Sorry.

If it were me, I would apply to other schools. (I had not heard of a program that makes you get a B in every science class. Lots of people don't get one in organic, for example.)

I would take the GRE anyway; some other schools require it as well and you would be eligible to apply to them.

I don't know that I would invest in taking a class over to get from a B- to a B, especially if money is a big limiting factor. If you don't take it over and you correctly understand the school's requirement to have a B in every course, then I don't see why you would reapply there.

If you are really set on continuing to go for the school that turned you down,

Yeah that all makes sense. That's what drives me crazy because she had stated in the past a B-, is still considered a B. But now starting this year, by B they mean 3.0 and above for every prerequisite(microbiology, A&P 1 and 2, a chemistry of some sort, statistics course, and a psychology based class or human development). I have A's or B+'s in every one of those classes except the B- in microbiology. I even had taken a more advance version, medical microbiology.

That's what I was trying to decide and I think you're right on the GRE. At least it will make more schools available as an option for me.

I haven't applied there yet. This is my first go around. They just released the new requirements for 2013 in the beginning of march. So with them deciding this late in requiring the GRE(been studying like crazy for it to get it completed in reasonable time) and now stating I can't apply because of a B-, its getting discouraging.

Yeah that all makes sense. That's what drives me crazy because she had stated in the past a B-, is still considered a B. But now starting this year, by B they mean 3.0 and above for every prerequisite(microbiology, A&P 1 and 2, a chemistry of some sort, statistics course, and a psychology based class or human development). I have A's or B+'s in every one of those classes except the B- in microbiology. I even had taken a more advance version, medical microbiology.

That's what I was trying to decide and I think you're right on the GRE. At least it will make more schools available as an option for me.

I haven't applied there yet. This is my first go around. They just released the new requirements for 2013 in the beginning of march. So with them deciding this late in requiring the GRE(been studying like crazy for it to get it completed in reasonable time) and now stating I can't apply because of a B-, its getting discouraging.

Don't get discouraged! There are lots of schools to consider. Find one that fits your needs. You might consider making some trips to meet with academic coordinators this summer. It is amazing what you learn by doing that.

In my case, at one school I was seriously considering, I asked a student what she didn't like about her school. Her answer was "They treat us like children." I still applied but selected another school to go to. The story of my time in PA school is in http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Stay strong and keep moving forward. Keep learning about yourself and keep your eyes open.

Good luck!

Don't get discouraged! There are lots of schools to consider. Find one that fits your needs. You might consider making some trips to meet with academic coordinators this summer. It is amazing what you learn by doing that.

In my case, at one school I was seriously considering, I asked a student what she didn't like about her school. Her answer was "They treat us like children." I still applied but selected another school to go to. The story of my time in PA school is in http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Stay strong and keep moving forward. Keep learning about yourself and keep your eyes open.

Good luck!

What was your actual GPA in the class you got a B- in? A 2.9 will get rounded up to a 3.0 on your CASPA application. Otherwise, as Ugo stated, there are a lot of quality programs that will not disqualify you for one class that is not in the 3.0 range. Most of us had one class that a B-/C+ was the highest feasible grade. For me, it was orgo II!

What was your actual GPA in the class you got a B- in? A 2.9 will get rounded up to a 3.0 on your CASPA application. Otherwise, as Ugo stated, there are a lot of quality programs that will not disqualify you for one class that is not in the 3.0 range. Most of us had one class that a B-/C+ was the highest feasible grade. For me, it was orgo II!

I thought a B- was a 2.7? But yeah that's what I figured and that since I meet every other requirement, they would still qualify me. I even have most of their recommended but not required classes as well. Do you guys think I should try speaking to someone else that's maybe higher up?

I thought a B- was a 2.7? But yeah that's what I figured and that since I meet every other requirement, they would still qualify me. I even have most of their recommended but not required classes as well. Do you guys think I should try speaking to someone else that's maybe higher up?

Archived