I have a lot of questions

I am currently a high school senior and am trying to decide on my future college, and also my major. I have am leaning towards Duquesne University as my home for the next four years. As of now I have been accepted to the nursing program there, but I also realized that they have a five year physicians assistants program. I do not know if I want to try and transfer into the PA program so I was looking for just some general information about PA's and what it is like to be one (work hours, job requirements, job duties, pay). I have already done some research but was hoping to get some feedback from real PA's. Also I was wondering if a five-year PA program is looked upon as a lower level or less of versus somebody who went to PA school after four years at a college. Honestly any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I am currently a high school senior and am trying to decide on my future college, and also my major. I have am leaning towards Duquesne University as my home for the next four years. As of now I have been accepted to the nursing program there, but I also realized that they have a five year physicians assistants program. I do not know if I want to try and transfer into the PA program so I was looking for just some general information about PA's and what it is like to be one (work hours, job requirements, job duties, pay). I have already done some research but was hoping to get some feedback from real PA's. Also I was wondering if a five-year PA program is looked upon as a lower level or less of versus somebody who went to PA school after four years at a college. Honestly any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I am applying with a bachelor's degree and the application process is extremely competitive. It is much harder to get into a program when you apply as a graduate student. 5 year programs are great. You graduate with a master's degree, and most of the PAs that I have shadowed did a 5 year program. I would suggest shadowing a few PAs and researching the difference between nursing and physician assistants.

If you are interested in other 5 year programs I suggest that you look into the programs at Saint Francis University, and Gannon. Both of these schools are located in Pennsylvania. Lock Haven has a pre-pa major and typically accept these students into their masters program after their first 3 years as an undergrad.

Once you determine that physician assistant is the medical profession that you want to pursue i HIGHLY recommend pursuing the 5 year program after graduation from high school.

I am applying with a bachelor's degree and the application process is extremely competitive. It is much harder to get into a program when you apply as a graduate student. 5 year programs are great. You graduate with a master's degree, and most of the PAs that I have shadowed did a 5 year program. I would suggest shadowing a few PAs and researching the difference between nursing and physician assistants.

If you are interested in other 5 year programs I suggest that you look into the programs at Saint Francis University, and Gannon. Both of these schools are located in Pennsylvania. Lock Haven has a pre-pa major and typically accept these students into their masters program after their first 3 years as an undergrad.

Once you determine that physician assistant is the medical profession that you want to pursue i HIGHLY recommend pursuing the 5 year program after graduation from high school.

I agree with SarahChil. I am currently doing the 4 + 2 set up at Lock Haven University and wish I would have done the 3 + 2. Since the school does have a PA program your undergrad will be great and complete all the necessary courses to go to another grad school. I would suggest you make the decision because I know I attempted to question it and they told me I was too late and this was before I started school. So don't expect to get into the 3+2 program once you have already started. The only benefit that comes from doing the 4+2 style is that you can go to another grad school if you don't like where you are but as already stated it is very competitive and you have a lot of criteria to follow.

I agree with SarahChil. I am currently doing the 4 + 2 set up at Lock Haven University and wish I would have done the 3 + 2. Since the school does have a PA program your undergrad will be great and complete all the necessary courses to go to another grad school. I would suggest you make the decision because I know I attempted to question it and they told me I was too late and this was before I started school. So don't expect to get into the 3+2 program once you have already started. The only benefit that comes from doing the 4+2 style is that you can go to another grad school if you don't like where you are but as already stated it is very competitive and you have a lot of criteria to follow.

I applied and was accepted to several 5 year PA programs including Duquesne. I probably will not be attending Duquesne because I was offered larger scholarships at other schools. I can tell you though that you cannot transfer into their direct admit program nor can you transfer into Gannon's (I was accepted there too). Some of the schools that do accept transfers on a very limited basis are Marywood, King's, Wagner College, University of the Science in Philadelphia and Butler University.

I applied and was accepted to several 5 year PA programs including Duquesne. I probably will not be attending Duquesne because I was offered larger scholarships at other schools. I can tell you though that you cannot transfer into their direct admit program nor can you transfer into Gannon's (I was accepted there too). Some of the schools that do accept transfers on a very limited basis are Marywood, King's, Wagner College, University of the Science in Philadelphia and Butler University.

Archived