PA schools primarily matriculating women?

I have found that most if not all of the PA programs here in Texas have matriculated classes being dominated by women. I read some Baylor statistics that showed anywhere form 77-89% (table on page 2 of this link) were women in the past 5 years, and class pictures such as this one make it seem that women are preferred.

It may be that the percentage of women applying is at a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio to men, but if not, is there a push for more women PA's over men? I read a pubmed statistic that nearly 60% of PA's are women, so it seems that entering classes should be more balanced.

Thoughts?

I have found that most if not all of the PA programs here in Texas have matriculated classes being dominated by women. I read some Baylor statistics that showed anywhere form 77-89% (table on page 2 of this link) were women in the past 5 years, and class pictures such as this one make it seem that women are preferred.

It may be that the percentage of women applying is at a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio to men, but if not, is there a push for more women PA's over men? I read a pubmed statistic that nearly 60% of PA's are women, so it seems that entering classes should be more balanced.

Thoughts?

As a Texas PA program grad, I think it's more of a reflection of who is applying in the state. My interview groups were primarily women, and as such my PA school class was primarily women. This is reflective of a national trend, though, but I think it's even more amplified in Texas. Texas is a little sheltered from the rest of the country- all but one of the programs are public, and there is the mandatory 90% in-state student law for every public school class in institutions of higher learning, and most grads stay in-state, so there's very little interstate movement. The Texas A&M (my alma mater) pre-PA student group is very well organized, and all of their members go on to PA programs in the state, and the group is primarily women.

As a Texas PA program grad, I think it's more of a reflection of who is applying in the state. My interview groups were primarily women, and as such my PA school class was primarily women. This is reflective of a national trend, though, but I think it's even more amplified in Texas. Texas is a little sheltered from the rest of the country- all but one of the programs are public, and there is the mandatory 90% in-state student law for every public school class in institutions of higher learning, and most grads stay in-state, so there's very little interstate movement. The Texas A&M (my alma mater) pre-PA student group is very well organized, and all of their members go on to PA programs in the state, and the group is primarily women.

The percentage is probably right but it represents a predominantly male profession that is now becoming predominantly female. Its the same with med school. The biggest driver is probably the move to masters. Females represent more than 60% of undergraduates and graduate at a higher rate than males. If a bachelors is required then the number of males is going to be limited.

The percentage is probably right but it represents a predominantly male profession that is now becoming predominantly female. Its the same with med school. The biggest driver is probably the move to masters. Females represent more than 60% of undergraduates and graduate at a higher rate than males. If a bachelors is required then the number of males is going to be limited.

Archived