Accepted!...Now what?

So I found out that I was accepted at the March 8th interview (YAY!)

But now I have a few questions.

1) Laptop - Is this any laptop? I know some schools require ThinkPads, and others require iPads, does this program have a particular model requirement?

2) The iPhone thing. We have to have an iPhone, correct? Do we acquire this on our own? Through the school? Is there a particular service/plan we need to purchase? I still have a little slider phone, so I'm uneducated on the smartphone front. (Fortunately, my contract is up in August, so I can arrange whatever I need to then.)

3) When do we speak to someone from financial aid?

4) I'm planning on doing some "leisurely" studying over the summer. I'm going to thumb through the "Made Ridiculously Simple" series and go over terms. Any other recommended reading before school starts?

...I'm sure there will be others, but that's all for now.

I'm in too! During my interview, a few of the current students said that the iphone was for apps needed during the clinical phase, but any smartphone would work. The admissions coordinator sent me an email concerning financial aid about two weeks after I was accepted. The stickied post a the top of the PA student group was helpful for me, I already bought several books to be looking over.

So I found out that I was accepted at the March 8th interview (YAY!)

But now I have a few questions.

1) Laptop - Is this any laptop? I know some schools require ThinkPads, and others require iPads, does this program have a particular model requirement?

2) The iPhone thing. We have to have an iPhone, correct? Do we acquire this on our own? Through the school? Is there a particular service/plan we need to purchase? I still have a little slider phone, so I'm uneducated on the smartphone front. (Fortunately, my contract is up in August, so I can arrange whatever I need to then.)

3) When do we speak to someone from financial aid?

4) I'm planning on doing some "leisurely" studying over the summer. I'm going to thumb through the "Made Ridiculously Simple" series and go over terms. Any other recommended reading before school starts?

...I'm sure there will be others, but that's all for now.

1) The school uses PCs specifically, but a Mac is fine also. It's pretty evenly split in our class.

2) Any smartphone will work. I personally like the apps on the iPhone better. You don't NEED it so much during didactic, but it is still very useful, and you will need it for rotations. Yes, acquire this on your own. No specific plan is required. My plan has 1 GB data per month and unlimited calling/texting through AT&T.

3) You can physically meet with financial aid at orientation, but can contact them before. They are very helpful if you have any issues. Fill out the FAFSA as soon as you can to get it out of the way. Larry Broadwater is the head of FA at our campus. His e-mail can be found in the staff directory on the schools website. You'll be in contact with Jessica throughout the summer and she is very helpful in making sure your file is complete.

4) Spend some time on the "Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple" book- it's one of the "texts" we used this year in Neuroanatomy first quarter. If there's some aspects of physiology you are lost on, spend a little time on that. By far, spend the majority of your time on Gray's Anatomy for Students- that was our anatomy text. It's possible they'll use a different text, but anatomy is anatomy. Other students may have a different perspective, but I know I wish I had prepared better for anatomy. As far as specifics- go over anything you feel weak in. More importantly, take some time to relax before classes begin.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have either here or on the Facebook group for the class. You'll get an invitation to join it once they pass on the list of confirmed students to our officers.

Hope this helps!

Hey! I was wait listed by chance did they give you a tentative date for orientation?

They'll announce that later. I have no idea; ours last year was August 29-31, but varies from year to year. I think we found out sometime in May or June, but I could be a little off.

I'm in too! During my interview, a few of the current students said that the iphone was for apps needed during the clinical phase, but any smartphone would work. The admissions coordinator sent me an email concerning financial aid about two weeks after I was accepted. The stickied post a the top of the PA student group was helpful for me, I already bought several books to be looking over.

Hi! Were these books recommended by South or just general books you're looking over? If you don't mind, which books did you get?

bthector already covered most of this, but I'll just say one thing: Relax and enjoy your summer. Come September, you'll be studying a lot, so take this time to relax and not do that. If there's something you've been putting off to do later, do it this summer. Otherwise, it'll be put off for another 27+ months.

The med term really isn't that bad. They don't really try to throw you any curve balls on it. One of the guys from the class ahead of us gave us a "study guide" for it. I'll try to find it and post it on the c/o 2015 facebook page. It was all I studied and I passed the quiz no problem. And they say hit the ground running, but, the first week or two is basically a review of undergrad anatomy and phys. If you've had extensive undergrad time in A&P you'll have exactly 0 issues. I have a Bachelor's in Molecular biology and the first 2 weeks were pretty unremarkable due to my background. Food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on break, returning today. She may have been out during this time as well. We got our packet on that information sometime in May I believe. I had my physical done in early July and the background check around the same time. The background check is all electronic and directions for that will be in the packet. For financial aid, just make sure that you have completed the FAFSA while awaiting more information.

Do you know when we are supposed to do our physical, criminal background check, financial aid, ect? I haven't heard anything and I sent a letter with my deposit and an email to Jessica with these questions and have not heard anything.

• 5 months later...

Archived