Best order to tackle prereqs/GRE

What has been everyones success stories or unsuccess stories related to getting through the prereqs? Is it best to take some, then the GRE, then the rest, or take the GRE first, last? I know it is all dependant on the individual program but should there be courses I should start out with and save the rest for later? ie bios before chems. Its been 5+ years since I was last a full time student\

The thing about PA school that terrifies me the most is the inability to work during the program. I am single with no children. What has everyones experiences with FAFSA/loans and budgeting been?

:sadface:

I'm doing the prereqs now. Going part time, I'd recommend

Semester 1

Anatomy

Gen. Chemistry 1

Semester 2

Physiology

Chem II or Organic Chem

Semester 3

Microbiology

Bio I

Semester 4

Bio II

Statistics

After that, there are some programs you can apply to. Then you can start adding the gravy - psychology, biochemistry, genetics, etc.

When I decided to pursue PA school, I had 4 remaining prereqs (A&P I, A&P II, genetics, and microbiology) and had not taken the GRE. I took those 4 classes over one summer (two 5-week sessions with two lectures and two labs per session), immediately followed by a month studying for the GRE. I had to take a 3 month leave from my job to tackle the prereqs, but personally it worked out for me. The schedule was brutal, but I think I came out of it feeling confident I could face the intensity of PA school. Taking the classes over the summer also minimized the time I was out of work. I don't think the actual order of doing things matters so much as figuring out what will work best for you. However I will say that registering for classes as a non-degree seeking student can be a challenge, at least from my experience (since degree-seeking students usually have priority registering for classes leaving few spots left over). I would focus on actually getting signed up for classes first and then figure out how you want to study for the GRE around that.

I would highly recommend taking Bio I before anything --- a lot of the information you learn in Bio I will be helpful in other courses (Microbiology, Human Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, for instance). I think it's difficult to work full time and just take a course or two, I would recommend loading up on credits and getting the process over with. In my opinion, once you're in the student mindset, it's easier to succeed in the coursework. If you're worried about adjusting to being a student again, maybe start with just a class or two, until you get into the swing of things. Also, if you already have a bachelor's degree, you are ineligible for federal subsidized loans. If you have decent credit, you can probably get private loans (try Chase or Discover student loans). I am taking prerequisites at a Community College so that I can afford to pay out-of-pocket. Also, there are several schools that do not require a second semester of Biology II, so if you're looking to cut something out...

I took my prerequisites post-bac, and kind of modeled the order off of a typical pre-med college freshman, and would recommend this sequence:

Semester 1:

Biology I

Chemistry I

General Psychology

Medical Terminology

Semester 2:

Chem II

Human Anatomy

Microbiology

Human Development (Psych)

Semester 3 (Summer):

Human Physiology

Organic Chem I

= Ready to apply to many programs after 3 semesters

Take GRE in August, when most summer semesters are finished, before Fall starts

Semester 4 (during application):

Pathophysiology, Genetics, Immunology (choose an upper level Biology)

Organic II or Biochemistry

To me, the order in which you take your prereqs is a personal thing. The way I blundered into things, I actually took a year of organic first, just because it was a rite of passage. I don't necessarily recommend that, but that is what I did. Then I did A&P, then micro, then patho, then the psychologies. Then I took a year off and went to paramedic school. About then I learned that you had to have chemistry (I had taken it decades earlier!) so I took chem 1. Then I learned I needed two quarters of biology. Finally statistics. This was a crazy way to do things, but it kept me motivated and I wasn't in a huge hurry.

I took the GRE almost at the end of everything. The only thing I studied was math (which I also had decades before) and took the sample tests on-line at the GRE website to refamiliarize myself with the format. I printed off the math handbook they have and reviewed it. The words, etc you know or you don't after a lifetime of reading.

I viewed the coursework as part of the journey. I took the classes to see how I felt about the subjects and how taking classes made me feel.

The story of my journey to, through, and after PA school is at http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Good luck, no matter what order you take things in!

I'm doing the prereqs now. Going part time, I'd recommend

Semester 1

Anatomy

Gen. Chemistry 1

Semester 2

Physiology

Chem II or Organic Chem

Semester 3

Microbiology

Bio I

Semester 4

Bio II

Statistics

After that, there are some programs you can apply to. Then you can start adding the gravy - psychology, biochemistry, genetics, etc.

Personally I'd take Chem 2 with an easier class than Physio. Perhaps Physio / Bio 1 or 2. Gen Chem 2 is a challenging course imho

Archived