Personal statement

Hi there i have finally written a rough draft of my PS. Could anyone please kindly critique it .

From a young age I had my mind set on the medical field. When other girls were playing with dolls I was having fun with my fisher price medical kit using my teddy bear as my patient. I was introduced to the profession of Physician Assistant during my junior year in college and it jump started my journey towards becoming a Physician Assistant. My quest for a career in medicine is what helped me declared my degree in Biochemistry. Working in the level III trauma center as an EMT-B has helped me to better grasp the fact what life is like for someone with an illness or disability. My naturally caring and compassionate nature only got deepened by observing my patients fight for life or try to do things that a healthy bodied individual take for granted. I know this ability will aid me in my future career as a Physician Assistant.

Since Physician Assistants have a broad medical education, they have the flexibility to practice in many specialties which gives them a unique characteristic. The mere suppleness of the profession will give me great opportunities to practice in different areas and sharpen my critical thinking. The profession of Physician Assistant has emerged as an immaculate fit for me because it will enable me to consider the factors in life that are most important to me. As a woman I want to keep a balance between my career and personal life while following my dream to practice medicine. On a practical level, I aspire to be settling into a lifelong career within the next few years while accumulating as little debt as possible during my education. Following the Physician Assistant path unequivocally meshes with these goals.

My culturally diverse background and multi lingual ability will also be a great contribution in attaining my dream to be a Physician Assistant. My parents immigrated to the Unites States from Pakistan in 2001. I became immersed in different cultures since I grew up in the melting pot of Houston, Texas. The disparities in the socioeconomic status of different ethnic communities have really cemented my dream to be a Physician Assistant. It gave me a better understanding of cultural norms and believes of diverse group of people and relate to them. I believe these qualities will not only help me to serve patients in culturally competent ways but also mingle well with my fellow Physician Assistant students.

During my undergraduate years , having no financial aid and working full time to pay bills and college tuition made it difficult to adjust to college life, which showed in my academic performance. However, I had garnered expertise at effective studying and time management over the course of the semesters that followed and have not let my financial condition affected my work. The upward trend in my grades serves as evidence that I have the ability to succeed in any class I put my mind to. I know if I had the maturity and skills I posses now, i would have achieved my goals in a more successful way during my junior year.

I took high level science courses and several certifications like CNA, EMT–B and LVN to better advance my experience and knowledge of healthcare in a clinical settings. I started working in a level III trauma center and was surrounded by many Physician Assistants on daily basis where I got ample experience working with them very closely and observed their scope of practice. It gave me a comprehensive understanding of Physician Assistant’s role in the dynamic field of medicine.

My communication skills are a defining aspect of my personality will benefit my patients and fellow medical professionals. I am confident in my ability to bring a positive, up-lifting attitude to the healthcare field .I hope to acquire the best qualities that I have seen among the providers and incorporate them into my future practice of medicine. I would also like to be a highly personable Physician Assistant whom patients trust can be of utmost value and that they feel comfortable talking to me about anything, no matter how trivial it may seem.

My range of experiences makes me steadfast in my belief that a future as a Physician Assistant is the perfect career for me. I have the ability and desire for a career in medicine, and I know that attending Physician Assistant School will give me the skills to succeed and live the life I envision while having a positive impact on many others.

• 2 weeks later...

The beginning of the essay is very cliche..and dry. It sounds like working as an EMT is what got you interested in the PA profession...so try to make the beginning of your statement a very engaging glimpse into one of the exciting rides you've done. Then in the end, tie everything together. Or, insert more about your multilingual capabilities. Otherwise, this statement as is currently prepared will not set you apart from anyone else....it sounds like this statement could have been written by anyone.

The beginning of the essay is very cliche..and dry. It sounds like working as an EMT is what got you interested in the PA profession...so try to make the beginning of your statement a very engaging glimpse into one of the exciting rides you've done. Then in the end, tie everything together. Or, insert more about your multilingual capabilities. Otherwise, this statement as is currently prepared will not set you apart from anyone else....it sounds like this statement could have been written by anyone.

Archived