open to suggestions

Once I knew that I wanted to become a Physician Assistant I knew that the journey would not be an easy one, but I am determined to succeed. I started researching schools and though it could have been overwhelming, I welcomed the challenge of choosing between different school requirements and programs. I began scheduling job shadowing opportunities and researching different possibilities to obtain patient care hours, all the while dedicating myself to my undergraduate studies at Clarion University and holding several leadership positions on campus. During my time at Clarion I was very active and gained impeccable time management skills as a result. Throughout all of my experiences in leadership positions, job shadowing, and obtaining patient care hours, I remained completely committed to becoming a Physician Assistant.

When I entered Clarion as a freshman I was a very shy girl that was intimidated by the thought of making new friends and apprehensive about being two hours away from home. However, I decided to use this new opportunity to step outside of my comfort zone and try new things, like joining organizations and meeting new people. I connected with several groups and found myself stepping up and taking on leadership positions. I joined the Zeta Tau Alpha International Women's Fraternity and was selected for two positions: Panhellenic Delegate and President. I also joined Bacchus Gamma, a risk management organization, became an orientation leader, was hired as a student assistant at the campus health center, volunteered at countless American Red Cross blood drives, and helped organize several fundraisers to raise money for breast cancer education and awareness through the ZTA Women's Fraternity. Through these opportunities I have transformed from a shy freshman to an outgoing college graduate that is no longer afraid to reach out to others. I also learned that I am capable of managing a full extracurricular schedule while keeping school as my top priority.

My first job shadowing experience took place at a family physician's practice. I was excited to observe how the office functioned from a perspective other than as a patient. From the moment I walked into the doctor's office and was introduced to the staff, I instantly felt at home. I was extremely impressed by the teamwork that I witnessed throughout the day. I loved how all the receptionists, medical assistants, nurses, physician assistants, and physicians worked side by side throughout the entire day. They exhibited a mutual respect and eagerness to help their coworkers and patients. My favorite part of the day was the patient interaction. The PA that I shadowed set a wonderful example of the type of clinician that I hope to become some day. She walked into each room with a smile on her face, recognizing existing patients, and warmly introducing herself to new ones. At the end of the day I knew exactly what attributes I hope to possess as a Physician Assistant. My goals are to know my patients by more than just their symptoms, to educate patients about conditions and illnesses so that they feel informed about their health, and invest myself into seeing every patient improve.

Although I knew I lacked in medical training at the time of my job shadowing, I knew I had the ability to learn quickly and bring my abilities to any medical field job I could find. Upon graduating Clarion University, I was hired by Allegheny Lutheran Social Ministries as a home care aide. I was anxious about the position because upon my hiring I was told that I would be exposed to a wide range of situations. In some cases I was told I would be responsible for lifting patients or using a Hoyer Lift to move them. And even though safety in some neighborhoods where I may have to work was a concern, I steeled my nerves for the first day I would visit patients on my own. I have now been working for the company for three months and value every day that I have with my clients.

It has been amazing to watch my clients improve and I am joyful when I see them achieve a personal goal. My job is to help them, but in actuality they have helped me too. Each day I am learning about different medications, conditions, therapies, and I am gaining a practical view of what types of treatments are realistic for each patient. This experience has made me realize that I have the compassion that is necessary to become a successful PA. It has also helped me to recognize the passion and desire I have to learn about different aspects of the medical field. Since starting this job I have decided to enroll in a First responder course and a medical terminology class for the fall semester of 2012 to further my knowledge and advance my skills and abilities before I begin training in the profession of my dreams. I look forward to the future and it is my hope that you will consider me for the Physician Assistant program.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound very harsh, but paragraph one could belong to any single person applying for PA schools. You can't get into PA school without dedicating yourself to your studies and outside activities to get HCE hours. You need a lot more specifics on why you want to be a PA and possibly more specifics on experiences. It also seems very long, I would check the character count.

Archived