Accepted and dropping courses

So I'm excited to say that I made it into one of my top choice PA schools this year and I can't wait to get started!

However I am on the fence about keeping a course that I am currently taking. I was originally planning ahead that in case I was not accepted to a school this year that I was going to retake physiology in order to boost my GPA for the next years application. As of right now I have an A in the class and I don't see that changing, but now that I have been accepted is there really any point in keeping it other than refreshing what I already know?

I called the college I am taking the course in and if I were to drop it now I would receive a "W" for the semester, which I am not to interested in having considering I don't have any W's on my transcript to date. Dropping it however would allow me to work more to get some extra funds before the program starts, and it would also allow me to rest my mind and relax for a bit before I dive head-first into a 2 year commitment.

So I am just looking for some advice on the matter. Better to keep the course and get an A (which would likely mean nothing in the long run), or drop it with a W and enjoy the little time I have left until I have no time at all? Tough decision :saddd:

If you already paid for it you might consider finishing. If you can get any cash back (doubtful) drop it. A W really wouldn't be so bad. If it ever came up in the future (I doubt it) you have a reasonable explanation.Also look into changing to audit status vs withdrawal (might look better and you really don't have to go to class, unless your professor is a jerk).Congrat's on your acceptance!

I will also be entering PA school in sept and retook physiology during undergrad. My reasoning was that the first time I seemed to only really care about the grade and not really retain the info. The second time I took it i was able to focus on it and take away concepts I didn't even grasp the first time through. I think you should stick it out and try to make the most of it, especially since you already paid for it.

That seems to be the only reason I can think of that I would keep it in order to review for the first year. Does it really make a difference though, or does everyone tend to be in the same boat the first year in terms of reviewing concepts?

The better prepared you are for PA school, the more free time you'll have during it. It's nice to not have to study all day every day.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I ask your reasoning for dropping it?

This is an old post but will reply in case anyone searches this and is interested.  I am a few months out from graduation and stand by what I said.  

Once you are accepted into school, have confidence that you are prepared (unless you somehow got in through knowing somebody and barely squeaked by or half-assed your whole undergrad or some other situation etc) with the knowledge you have thus far.  At the end of the day what you learn in the books only sticks with you so well.  I could read an A&P book 100 times or 1 time but at the end of the day my knowledge is going to be what I see and do on a daily basis.

I really think taking some time for rest and relaxation will give you a much greater boost than trying to pre-study physio.  Also any student who didn't do well in my program got through A&P relatively okay but tanked once we were heavy in the medicine blocks.  Not sure what the OP ended up doing but for anyone else in these shoes my advice would still be drop the class.

Archived