PA School help-Nystagmus strabismus

Hello,

I need any advice that I can get at this point. I was diagnosed as a child with congenital nystagmus as well as strabismus. I have always done well in school and have had no difficulties really. I drive and complete everyday activities normally. I am finishing my masters degree in clinical psychology with a 3.91. I am looking forward to applying to PA school, but I concerned that my previous diagnosis will affect me. Two years ago I had surgery that effectively allowed my left eye to be "turned on." I am learning how to use both eyes together, to hopefully have true depth perception at some point. Basically, this means that I can see out of both of my eyes, but I am learning to diverge my eyes outward so that I can gain depth perception. Will this affect me with the surgery or hands on portion of PA school? I would be devastated to think that it would. Should I even mention this in my narrative?

Thanks,

Dawn

there are a few pas out there who practice without a brain so i think you should be fine

HA! Love it :)

Dawn,

I work with a PA who has a similar issue - not the no brain bit, the eye bit - however she's very adept at all sorts of procedures in the ER. I have a slight strabismus too - have had two surgeries to correct, but still a few wobbles here and there. As time goes by your brain and muscles will adapt and things will "straighten out" per say. In my opinion, you shouldn't let anyone tell you any different - no one at any of the programs I have interviewed with has made any mention of it either!

This I find interesting. Current DOT guidelines won't allow for passage of commercial drivers if they have monocular vision (one contact/lens for close up and one for distance) since it impacts their ability to accommodate their vision to accurately judge distances for braking. Same goes for pilots, and I would suspect railway engineers though I don't know this specific example as fact. That being said it would seem that this would prove to be a problem with fine motor functions such as suturing or using a scalpel as well. Glad to hear that those of you with some of these issues don't experience any drawbacks from it.

I have limited vision in one eye, but I know where my weakness are (as it sounds like you do) so it's not too hard to find ways to work around any problems. I also have a friend who is a (non-surgical) PA who has non-binocular vision, but she can still suture and do most office procedures.

Will it affect you? yes, but not in a way that cannot be worked with/around.

Should you mention it in your narrative? I wouldn't if it were me, but that's just who I am. I don't think it would be inappropriate, but don't think that you HAVE to disclose it. You should be prepared to talk about it if it comes up at interviews.

Good luck!

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am very aware of my deficits and I have always found ways to work around them. I was always told that I would never be able to drive, but I continued to prove the physicians wrong. I drive and get through each day just fine. I feel that I should mention it in my narrative because it has lead to my decision to become a PA. I hope that they see this as a strength to who I am and not a deficit. I just hope that whatever program interviews me, works with me and they are understanding. I'm not sure what at all is required physically for suturing, maybe someone could provide me with some insight about this?

As far as depth perception...I feel that vision therapy is coming along well. I am working on convergence exercises so that I can learn to use my eyes together. My eyes are progressing much faster than I thought. Until last year my brain had turned off my left eye completely. Now, I can see out of both eyes, but they are not sure how to work together quite yet. Can you elaborate on what you mean by spatial cognition? I am not considering surgery as a specialty. I would like to work in primary care, but I would still like to be able to perform basic suturing.

Archived