Frustrated!!

Hello Everyone!

I know you guys probably get the same kinds of threads a million times, but I have honestly been watching this forum from a far for a great deal of time. I couldn't really find any stories that fact my background.

I am recent undergrad graduate (May 2012) 3.3 GPA in Chemistry.

I am a current Masters student in Public Health - Epidemiology with a present a 3.7 gpa. I also work as a Pharmacy Technician about 30 hours a week. I honestly went to undergraduate with the intention of going to medical school. I have all the shadowing hours, internships, and even a publication from research at NASA. I just decided that I didn't want to go to medical school anymore. I wanted to to opt for a shorter and more direct entry into the health field.

and honestly my undergraduate institution, didn't even really know what a PA was and I didnt know anything about the field either. If i did I would have went straight this route... Honestly, I don't care about titles obviously ( Im a Pharm TECH, I dont mind doing all the work and getting the ****ty treatment and not having the title.) I just want to serve patients and help......

My question obviously is. How does someone like me who has a wealth of education and health related education, change over to become a PA without having to switch jobs and go back and get yet another certification or degree..

Thank you in advance for any response I may get..

I'm confused. Are you asking if you can become a PA without another degree or how to get into PA school without another degree? Obviously there is no way to become a PA without going to PA school, getting the degree, and passing the licensing exam. As far as getting into a PA program you won't know until you try. Your experience and grades seem competitive enough so I would start researching programs in your area.

I think he/she is trying to figure out how to be a good PA candidate as opposed to an MD candidate, but correct me if I'm wrong.

A lot of your education and experiences will look good and fit fine with the PA route, but you do have to make it clear that you understand what a PA is and why that is the road you want to take. I assume your shadowing experiences are with MDs, so find a PA or two to shadow. If you haven't spent any time with PAs, it's not going to be very convincing that you are educated about the profession and why you want to go into it. Schools will also want to see healthcare experience with some hands-on patient care, though different schools have different requirements. Some schools have no required minimum and accept volunteer hours, so you could start volunteering in a hospital or at a clinic to get some direct experience with patients. You might be interested in schools that require at least 6 months of paid, full-time hands-on patient care experience, so getting a certificate and finding another job might be worth it to you. Definitely do some research on schools you're interested in to see what other experiences or education you need to be a competitive applicant. Good luck!

Archived