New Grad looking for CT Surgery job - advice appreciated!

I've been a member of PA Forum for 4 years but changed my username to protect myself/job applications. I recently graduated from a well respected program, passed the PANCE and am still looking for a job. Ideally, I would like to work in CT surgery, but have learned that it is almost impossible to get into the field with no experience. That being said, what is the ideal way to get experience? Should I focus on jobs that are pre/post op care for cardiac patients with no OR time/EVH training? Should I try to get a job in general surgery for a few years and then switch? What about other surgical sub-specialties (ex. vascular surgery or thoracic surgery)--will this provide better training than general surgery? Is it wise to apply for cardiology jobs even if they are not surgical (but provide some opportunity to learn certain procedures)?

Also, if I am offered a job is it more important to get OR experience or pre/post op experience? I interviewed for two jobs that are largely OR with clinic, but no inpatient management, and I had another interview at a well respected academic medical center that hires new grads, however it's mainly SDU with some opportunity later to get into the OR mainly to do EVH and second assisting as they have medical residents and fellows to train.

I would like to live in a city as I am in my mid-late 20s, however I know I may not have an option. Is it better to take the "perfect job" in a less desirable place or a "good enough" job in a more desirable place? I know that work takes up the majority of your time so if you don't love what you're doing then it won't matter where you're living, but after working my butt off for 5 years to get into PA school and another two while I was in PA school I'd like to be able to stop "putting my life on hold." I'm constantly debating whether I should take a CT surg job in a place I have no desire to live or take another cardiology/general surgery job in a more desirable place to get experience. I understand that getting into this field is difficult and it will require long hours once I'm in it, but one of the reasons I decided PA vs. MD was because I didn't want my career to be the main focus until I was in my mid 30s.

Any advice from PAs in the field would be appreciated. All of my healthcare experience prior to PA school was in cardiology so I do have a stronger background than most new grads, even though it's not experience as a PA-C. I am starting to get discouraged that I am one of very few people in my class that does not have a job yet/hasn't started working yet. I know part of the problem is that I'm looking into something more specialized than ER, primary care, internal medicine, etc., but student loan debt is creeping up and those bills will be due before I know it! :=-0:

IF you want to be in CT surgery, then take te OR job.. Get as much experience endo view, first assisting as possible. The SICU, CSRU will come in time... But generally it it the harvesting technique that will keep you in the field.. OR first, recovery and step down second.

Surgical residency.. Cornell, montifiore ... Will also help you get your footin the door, as those are the first places programs look to for newbies.

Did you have a CT surgery rotation while in your PA program? If so, do you have references from that rotation?

Check out APACVS career page for job postings. I applied to multiple CT surgery openings as a new grad, had interviews and was able to choose a job that was right for me and my family in the field.

Good luck!

I also was once a new grad! We all were!

I interviewed and had offers for 3 CT surgery positions right out of school. In fact, my practice is growing and are searching for additional PA's. We are interviewing every viable candidate, including new grads.

Best of Luck,

-AM

Emory University -- Class of 2011

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I think it's a bit too late to apply to surgical residencies at this point (application deadline is March 15). Yes, I completed an elective rotation in CT surgery and the chief PA from that rotation has been listed (and is willing) to be a reference. I got a great evaluation and had they not just hired another student they were willing to hire me (no position currently open, though). I have searched the APACVS page and posted my resume on it as well. I've had 4 interviews for CT surgery (rejected from 3, including 2 academic medical institutions that have hired new grads in the past), waiting to hear on one, and one more upcoming. I'm starting to feel disheartened that something is either "wrong" with me or it's just a new grad & no experience curse. In addition to the interviews I've applied to 5 other CT surgery jobs that I either never heard from or was rejected without an interview (some of these were pre NCCPA certification so that may be why).

I'm starting to feel the pressure of student loans that will be due soon and am getting worried I won't have a job. If I can't get into CT surgery should I apply into another surgical field or should I apply into cardiology? What would future employers prefer?

ATCLATEMTB, if your practice is still hiring, can you PM me the information? I'm willing to relocate. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Archived