New Grad Ortho offer

Hey guys,

I'm a new grad and recently got an offer for an ortho position in the pandhandle of Florida. Here are the highlights of the offer:

-90k base pay

-contract read NO equity in revenues (I'm assuming no productivity bonus from reading this)

-$250/weekend (one day) and $175/weekday for taking call which from speaking with the doc was 4-6x/month (not written in contract)

-no tail coverage

-PTO, CME, sick days all combined into no more than 15 days/year earned at 1/2 day per 2 weeks.

-nothing about reimbursement for licensure or loan repayment or anything of that sort

-no compete 2 years!! for this county and the next county over. Definitely need to talk about this standard is 1 year??

-revisit contract after 1 year

-OR 2-3.5 days a week and clinic 2.5-3.5 days a week, we discussed hours as being around 40-50 but probably should get that in stone somewhere too I assume.

-responsible for some weekend rounding, not sure if that's included in "call" and how often or if I will receive bonus pay

Thanks in advance for the help.

what about this offer appeals to you? Why are you drawn to this particular practice? Does your work environment make up for call every weekend? Do you feel your educational experience will make up for the continuing education you would gather while attending CME courses? Does your non compete apply to just orthopedics, or does it apply to any sort of practice? If you take vacation time that spans a weekend, will they subtract a day's worth of leave hours to cover the call you would have been responsible for?

I realize that finally getting a job after pouring your guts into your educational process is a big deal. I look forward to that moment as I am still in the meat grinder. However...I read that post and see "give my your life, your soul, and your unrelenting dedication" in exchange for no tail coverage, no acknowledgment of CME needs, working every weekend...Frankly it sounds a bit stark to me. What will gain from it? Master Ninja ortho skills from some of the most talented ortho docs in the country that will punch your ticket to anywhere you want to go and work fluently in ortho? Since you won't be able to practice in 2 counties of area, are you willing to move/commute? Your brain is still soaking in knowledge as fast as it can gulp..if they have solid mentors at this practice, I bet you will get dialed in very quickly...but you stand a fair chance of forgetting all the other PA stuff. Is it worth the loss of the other skills?

I am not looking for answers to my questions, just posting them as i think of them to help supplement your own decision making process.

agree with Steve. beware offers that look like a lot of money if in return you work almost 2 jobs.

when I was a new grad there was a ct surg job that paid 80k(when the new grad avg was 55) and folks jumped on it only to find it required 80 hrs/week and call all the time. while on call you could be sent anywhere in the country to retrieve and transport organs...it was basically 2 full time jobs at 40k/yr.

they went through a new grad pa every 6 months...don't be that guy.

Archived