Headed to the "real world" in just a few weeks!

Just heard my first rotation will be 6 weeks in general surgery. I'm SO excited to get to clinicals and see some patients. I have a strong history in emergency medicine, but I'm anxious to really dive in to other areas... but I'm also terrified. I've heard it's a bit normal to feel totally unprepared when starting rotations, so hopefully it's just the nerves! And of course my first two rotations would be surgery and internal med - the two notorious for being the hardest. AHHHH I'd love to know if there are any more tips (i've browsed this forum a lot) you might have, or any reminders, etc... I'd say "how can I prepare", but aside from passing my next 4 weeks of class and finals, I'm not sure there's much time to do extra.... Thanks for listening, I'll happily receive any help I can get!

For surgery, just brush up on your suture skills and make sure you are a pro in aseptic technique. Don't make the circulating or scrub nurses angry, because they can make your rotation a delight or a living hell. Other than that, enjoy yourself. Don't be afraid to get questions wrong, if you don't know an answer just tell them you will look it up.

Don't just be familiar with suturing/knot tying, when that skills lab comes, spend a bit of time really learning it. I'd clip a hemostat to my pant leg and tie knots while reading/reviewing powerpoints and you can get really god doing that. When my general surgery rotation came around (#3) I wasn't spending time thinking about it (or what my preceptor thought of it while I was tying/suturing) because I knew that my basic skills were solid and whatever critique (if any) was about to come my way was going to be a variation in personal technique on their behalf.

Archived