Courses taken within a timeframe

Hey all,

I'm looking through each school requirements and I notice that some have a timeframe that you must have completed a pre-req within 5 or 10 years. Is this common with many schools?

It's been 10 years since my first year of undergrad. Does this mean if I am not accepted this upcoming cycle, I would have to retake General Biology, even though I majored in Biology?

It is quite common for schools to have time frame requirements for your prerequisites. Some schools may be willing to waive the time frame if you have taken other upper level courses more recently, have a degree in that field, or have a graduate degree taking similar classes. Other schools will not waive under any circumstances. You should contact your prospective schools to find out. If you did poorly in those courses it might be in your best interest to retake anyways because some schools calculate a separate prerequisite GPA or more specifically look at grades for the courses that meet their prerequisites when making their decision about interviewing/accepting candidates.

I had a similar problem with Bio since I took it my freshman year of college too. My program asked me to take a CLEP exam to demonstrate that I knew the material. If it is past the time frame you could always offer to do that, I think bio cost me like $105 which was for Bio I and II.

Archived