How is my application looking?

Hello!

I'm a Junior biology major at Texas A&M, with plans to apply to all Texas, Arizona, and a couple Chicago schools this summer.

My credentials are within the range that my advisor told me to keep them, but I haven't had any luck finding statistics on acceptance rates.

• 3.4 GPA, both overall and in sciences ( with hopes to increase these a bit before applying)
  • 153 Quantitative and 157 Verbal GRE scores
  • plan to have at least 50 hours of shadowing before submitting application
  • 3.5 years experience as a Pharmacy Tech, 6 years total work experience
  • About 100 hours of volunteering within the last year
  • active role in a small group responsible for raising money for Alzheimer's research

I dont know if the pharmacy tecnician thing counts as health care experience. If it does, that would put me at approximately 7000 hours.

How strong of an applicant do you think all of this would make me? I realize my GPA is a bit lower than preferable, but I really dont know how that balances with everything else.

Thank you so much!

Fellow Aggie here. Your application looks competitive- may I suggest, as because you're at A&M you have the unique opportunity to do this, to look into the Emergency Care Team for additional volunteer experience. They provide first aid at major campus events- football games, baseball games, Corps events (including the always fun March to the Brazos) and several other events each semester. The stations are always headed by an EMT-B or higher, and during your first semester they provide you with first aid training so you can get your feet wet working directly with real patients- doing vitals, wound care, splinting and basic assessments and introducing you to how to document properly. It's where I first started in health care, along with many other friends I have who have gone on to become paramedics, nurses, PA's and physicians, and it made a world of difference for myself. For Aggies who want to do healthcare as a career, I can't recommend it highly enough. That's assuming, though, that your grades don't suffer as a result.

They should have a booth at the MSC Open House this semester, so go check it out.

Archived