PA or MD

Hi everyone, I am currently an undergraduate and I have been thinking about my career choice. Initially, I wanted to be an pediatrician but after gaining more insight into the life on a medical student, I am not sure it will work well with my other aspirations. I value my family over money and a career. I figured as a PA I would be given more flexible in my schedule that way I can be there for my family. Is this a good reason to switch or should I just stay pre-med? :sad:

I think you are a bit misinformed. PAs do NOT necessarily or usually have more flexibility in their schedule at all. However, the path is shorter, so if you are looking to have a family at a young age and not work 80 hour work weeks in residency with that family, then yes the PA route would provide that for you. I recommend you look into the differences between the two professions, shadow a pediatric PA, and then decide what path would be best for you.

sorry, that is what I meant by flexibility. I shadowed a pediatrician recently and I really enjoyed it.I can see myself working in that environment. It's just the time and money that is a major concern for me. Since I am currently a sophomore in undergrad, what type of experiences should I do to fulfill the health care experience hours?Thank you for your advice!

Archived