Good HCE?

Hello all,

I have been reading threads here for a while but this is my first post.

I want to ask you guys if the HCE jobs I'm looking at will count for PA school. I'm pretty strong academically, with a 3.73 BA GPA and 4.0 in my science pre-req's so far, and hoping to do very well on the GRE as well.

However, I have no HCE and no med certifications, other than CPR/AED. I looked into the CNA program at my local college and it costs $1800, which I don't see as a good investment since I would only do it until I have a decent amount of HCE hours. I'm planning to apply to programs that put more emphasis on academic strengths rather than HCE, i.e. those that have little or no actual HCE requirement.

So, I've been looking at jobs at organizations that work with people with developmental disabilities and brain injury, as well as mental health and addictions counseling centers. The positions are listed as Direct Support Staff, Direct Care Residential Counselor, Recovery Counselor, Milieu Counselor, etc. Most of the descriptions say that you would participate in the implementation of treatment plans, medication administration, teaching ADL skills, community activities, documenting progress, etc.

SO, do you think this would count as good HCE? It seems like pretty hands-on experience.. but everyone on the site is always recommending CNA/RN/EMT/Tech.. all of which need (kind of expensive) certifications. The other thing I have been looking into is personal care assistant (PCA) for elderly/injured people but it seems it's more daily living rather than anything actually medical.

I would really appreciate your opinions!

Thank you!

Getting your CNA is a good start and it certainly shouldn't cost you $1800 dollars. The class I took was only $500 + state test expenses and it only took a couple weeks of training. A PCA is basically a Nurse Aide as they both deal with ADL's. Being a CNA may not be a glorious position but it is very practical for HCE as an undergrad student. Good Luck!

When and in which state was that in? I'm in Mass and it's $1800 at my local community college and $1200 from Red Cross.. but either way I don't think it's a path I want to go down... if anything, I would just get a PCA job.

But, what would you guys say about working as Direct Support Staff, Direct Care Residential Counselor, Recovery Counselor, Milieu Counselor, etc. working with disabled/addictions/mental health patients? Would it count as HCE?

When and in which state was that in? I'm in Mass and it's $1800 at my local community college and $1200 from Red Cross.. but either way I don't think it's a path I want to go down... if anything, I would just get a PCA job.

But, what would you guys say about working as Direct Support Staff, Direct Care Residential Counselor, Recovery Counselor, Milieu Counselor, etc. working with disabled/addictions/mental health patients? Would it count as HCE?

I would think that it will be hit or miss at various places. I suggest contacting the programs you're interested in directly and ask.

Archived