Working in Emergency Medicine in North CA/CEP?

CEP runs the ER at our facility, and also has a 5 slot PA fellowship at this ER. They traditionally don't hire new grads at any of their facilities unless they enter the year long fellowship. I doubt that they would make any exceptions based on geography. I can say that they are very supportive of PAs and NPs, and one of the largest employers of the same.

last time I worked in Northern Ca. was > 20 yrs ago so take this with a grain of salt. at least then (in the 90's) np's controlled most of the non physician provider market with a few exceptions like the er's in santa cruz ca which only used pa's. kaiser in santa clara also uses pa's. there is also a group in merced and fresno that staffs pa's in their er's, I still see their ads every few years.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a lot on this forum, but never post! however, your thread caught my eye. I am also a (soon to be) new graduate applying for jobs in the Bay area, although I'm from Indianapolis and living here currently. Anyways, I applied to a few EM jobs on the CEP website and had a recruiter that day contact me wanting to set up a phone interview. When I spoke with her this week, she said that only certain locations have the staff available to do the training required for a new grad and luckily, one of them was the one I applied for. So, there are jobs for new grads, just not at all locations. I am specifically applying to jobs around SF. When I asked about how PAs are utilized at this location, she said they are relied upon heavily in the main ED as well as the RME areas.

I'd say go for it and apply to a few - you can get a better idea if you have the oppportunity to speak to someone.

Archived