Just took the PACKRAT. Is there a chart to correlate PACKRAT to PANCE scores?

Hey our class just took the PACKRAT our first time (a practice time, I guess) Is there a direct chart to correlate PACKRAT scores to PANCE scores? I made a 161. All I have heard is that under a 110 usually correlates with not passing the PANCE the first time. Apparently a 111 = 350 on PANCE, the minimum passing score.

It's probably not that high. Mine were 180 and 200 on PACKRAT preclinical and postclinical, respectively. I took the PANCE on the first day I was eligible to sit for it (7 days after program completion date), and my PANCE score was 538. I even completed a total of 9 PACKRAT forms, kaplan qbank, AAPA pretest, and my NCCPA practice exam 3 days before exam was high to extreme high with 3 borderline areas.

My PACKRAT scores (I did 7 different versions) were no lower than 190 on each. I did practice questions from LANGE Q & A, USMLE Step 2, Kaplan pance prep, used study guides like Van Rhee, Kaplan, USMLE Steps 2 and 3, Emory Review course DVD, USMLE Step 2 videos (all of them), the study guide from the 5 day CME course (i didnt take the course though, but I bought the binder from someone else) and the study material from the 3 days course from a different CME course, all my 1st year notes......alot of stuff......and I barely made 500 on the PANCE (I took it in September); I felt that nothing from the review courses notes or ANY of the material helped me at all. It was a guessing game for me. Those "Key" words that were shoved in my head over and over and over again...yeah, I didn't see any of that stuff on the test. Interestingly, I made straight A's on all of my end of clinical rotation tests, yet felt it did not reflect the material on the test. Some of my friends that graduated in May made between 760 and 800 on the test, nothing lower. My class, at least those I talked to, nothing over a 600. What happened? Why are the review courses not reflecting this change in test material? I felt like I was guessing on 75% of the test. 3 of my classmates failed. Those 3 had previous medical experience, outstanding test takers and very smart, straight A's in didactic portion and clinical rotations. They were confident in everything they did. So, I don't know how much advice I have to give except to keep doing questions.

I got a 156 on my first PACKRAT and slightly better on my second a year later, and got a 550 on the PANCE. I did not get to study as much as I had hoped for the PANCE but it worked out just fine. The national average my first year of PACKRAT (2010) was 139, so it looks like your scores are pretty good.

Thanks all! Apparently there is a conversion formula from Packrat to Pance... my professor did his doctorate on it..... it's valid if the Packrat is done in your clinical year and if you continue to study (no slacking off because you make a good score). It is 5.74 x your packrat score... and subtract 287.47. So mine was 5.74x161-287.47. =636.67. So that's how he got my expected Pance score.

Thanks all! Apparently there is a conversion formula from Packrat to Pance... my professor did his doctorate on it..... it's valid if the Packrat is done in your clinical year and if you continue to study (no slacking off because you make a good score). It is 5.74 x your packrat score... and subtract 287.47. So mine was 5.74x161-287.47. =636.67. So that's how he got my expected Pance score.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to my class.

• 8 months later...

Archived