Advice please!!!!!!!!!

Ok I need some advice please. Let me give you my background. I am a mom and a wife. I am older (31) and have been out of

college with my bs for 8 years. This is my 1st year applying to PA school and I have been accepted to an amazing program that

I feel in love with. This is a top 5 program. But it is across the country from where I live. My family will not be moving

with me if I attened this program. I now may have a chance to attend a new program in my area with provisional accreditation.

The spring of next year will be the first class so my class will work out the bumps. This program is 20k cheaper and I can live at home.

But its a new program. I work in the health field and am very familar with the hospitals I would be doing clinical rotations at

so I dont know if I will get an amazing clinical experience. And I don't know how hard it is to be in PA school and have kids and a husband

right there wanting you as well. Please advise. Does it matter

were you go? How about diversity.

Most folks have always told me that the program doesn't really matter that much.....as as they are accredited. That said, there are better programs for certain types of folks. Finances and family, IMO, are major considerations. If given the choice, like you have, look at the pros and cons of going to each.

I am in a similar type of situation right now. I was accepted into a program where my immediate family lives and where I happen to own a house (I don't live there currently), yet I just received an interview invite from a program that I feel was tailored to folks like me (military background). I did the pros and cons and I am pretty sure I will end up going to the program in Florida. My wife and kids will have a support network in place and we already have the living arrangements. The program isn't as well known as the other one, but it is solid.

At the end of the day, the goal is PA-C.

I don't have any kids, but I'm married and at the end of my first semester of PA school (last final last Friday!)... Maybe I say this out of exhaustion, but you should do whatever you can to make PA school easier for you in any way. PA school is so much harder than you are imagining it is (even if you're an incredible student. I had a 3.9 science GPA coming in, 3.8 overall). One of the biggest thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can come home at night and see my husband and my dog, and that he can help with dinner and grocery shopping and all of that other 'stuff' that needs to be done.

It's so worth it, but school is unrelenting. I study every day (but not late into the night), and have maybe taken 4-5 full days off since August when we started. Maybe it would be helpful to you to have the quiet and the focus, but I think it would be depressing for me to not have the people I love around me to support me when it gets rough.

Sorry this post is a bit of a downer - just trying to present the situation honestly. Good luck with your decision and congrats on your options!

I'm struggling with the same kind of thing... And do think having a support system and the comfort of my own home would be beneficial. My question though is if you're looking at jobs nationally, moving away from the vicinity of the school, won't it be much harder with a lesser known program? People even in my state hear the two programs and have never heard of the one close by. I just worry that this will make it very hard if I want to move to another state as a new grad?

Thank you all!!!! The program I am leaning towards is extremely challenging (out of state school). Don't know if in state would

be as hard. But I think if Im here, no matter how much support I have, it would be hard to focus when your kids still want you to be

a mom. I think if my family was moving with me I would choose to stay bc its easier for them and all of our family is here.

@Briepm do you think you would be able to do school if you had to be a mom as well. I think its easier for two adults bc your

husband can fend for himself. Also does the reputation of a school matter? We are considering relocating after I finish a program.

I've been doing school for 18 months (and have 18 months to go) as a mom of four. It's brutal. BUT I cannot imagine how my kids would cope without me around. The way I felt about it (and I toyed with leaving them as well for school), it was my choice to bring them into this world and, ultimately, no matter how successful I was in my career, they only get one childhood (and I only get one chance to help them succeed). I've got friends who did move for school. It's tough either way. For example, I had to go to a hotel in order to get the peace I needed to write my Master's paper. I have to study away from home b/c the minute I walk thru that door, I am "mom." We don't have any family near us to help, either, and I could not see my husband being a single parent for me to go to school. Whatever you decide, it's a decision only you can make. No one else has to walk your walk. I'm glad I never applied out of state and I'm grateful for every moment I've been distracted from studying with a mini backrub or a hug or kiss. Seeing how hard I work is helping them develop good study skills (I know this is a positive experience for them because one of the wrote an essay entitled, "My Mom. My Hero." Made me cry.)

Thank you all!!!! The program I am leaning towards is extremely challenging (out of state school).

Don't be fooled: from what I understand, there's no such thing as a PA school that isn't extremely challenging. Others can correct me I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. All PA schools must meet the same requirements of one governing body. There really aren't any "fly by night" PA programs. One of the reasons I choose PA over NP was the standardized training.

I really don't think most employers care where you went to school. Unless a local program has a bad rep.....which is rare.

Last thought: The quality of the clinical rotations is something that can vary between schools. IMO, clinical sites are a very important factor.

How old are your kids? I would not move across the country from them unless they were 13+ and could understand and then I would try to video chat with them at least every other day. In addition to the school at home being 20K cheaper you would also not have the expense of an apartment near school and flying home over breaks (which I personally think would be stressful trying to fly home). Consider where you want to work as PA because rotations can often lead to job offers.

If you want my personal opinion I would go to the school near home unless you plan to find a job that is not in the vicinity of either school, in which case the big-name school could be a benefit. If you can work hard and learn on your own you can be a great PA with an education from any school. You might have to take a lot of initiative on rotations if your preceptor is one who will allow you to slack. You can study at school, the local library, or a coffee shop so your family can't bug you, or go to bed at 7-9pm with the kids and wake up at 3-4am to study or study when they are in bed. If they are older, you set a great role model example for them of studying. I am younger and single and got into schools in Chicago that might have a better reputation and definitely better facilities (and one was cheaper) than the school close to home which I chose to attend. I didn't want to miss the little things like birthdays, Thanksgiving dinner or Fourth of July which are the type of events that are important to me but are not big enough to spend hours driving or a flight to be able to attend. Good luck making whatever decision works for you and I hope it works out great! Congratulations on your acceptance!

Don't be fooled: from what I understand, there's no such thing as a PA school that isn't extremely challenging. Others can correct me I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. All PA schools must meet the same requirements of one governing body. There really aren't any "fly by night" PA programs. One of the reasons I choose PA over NP was the standardized training.

I really don't think most employers care where you went to school. Unless a local program has a bad rep.....which is rare.

Last thought: The quality of the clinical rotations is something that can vary between schools. IMO, clinical sites are a very important factor.

Ditto! All PA schools are extremely challenging. I am in a new program and I have worked my tail off.

And I agree about checking out the clinical sites.

Archived