Application question

I have a BS degree already and I've just completed the 5 pre-req and have all A's, I'm applying next november (2013). Has anyone been accepted w/o taking pathology, biochemistry, pharmacology, ethics and biostatistics? I need to know if my pre-reqs are enough.

I plan to start shadowing a PA in January.

Thanks

Hi TK2U! According to SJU's website,

Candidates also are encouraged to have a strong science background with completed coursework in pathology, biochemistry, pharmacology, ethics and biostatistics. Minimum requirements for all applicants include 16 credits in the basic sciences taken within five years of entry into this program. Courses include:

• Microbiology with lab - one semester

• Anatomy and Physiology with lab-two semesters

• Chemistry with lab- one semester

So it seems as though they are not required but looked upon highly if a student completes them. I wonder the same though since I only have pathophysiology (which isn't exactly pathology), this random psychopharmacology and the addictive process elective I took (which isn't exactly pharmacology) and a philosophy class (if they accept that for ethics). Did you submit your application without indicating any PA experience Have you received any correspondence from the school yet?

hi, are you applying for the upcoming year?

you need path, biochem for sure. Biostats not sure, i took stats instead and basic ethics. i am currently a 2nd year at stj majoring in PA. this is pretty much my last year on the main campus before i head off to the professional phase.

i hope this helps

Hello nyzgirl0929, thank you for joining the thread! It always helps to have someone who has gone through the process. =)

Since you mentioned pathology and biochem are needed for sure, are they unofficial requirements, since the website says otherwise? =(

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you a part of the certificate program or doing the bachelors route? Do you know the admission department's preference on out of state applicants? I'm from the Midwest, is that uncommon or does everyone have a fair chance?

I look forward to your response and I apologize for the multiple questions, just very anxious!

• 1 month later...

wow I'm so sorryyyy I actually just had a chance to get back on here. It's been INCREDBLY slow around here okay okay let me see if I can answer these questions; I'm currently completing the bachelors route. Pathology and biochem are a major requirement from what I know, it's one of those "you need classes" the way the school does it is they accept a majority from students who start out from day one BUT they also accept outside students who are called independent students who typically have a degree already. The program is highly competitive so as long as u have what they want and good community service as well as a good application u should be set.

Again so sorry for the late reply. If you have any other Questions I'll be happy to answer em, hopefully this time (alittle quicker)

I just double checked the whole biochem and path apparently for independent students it's encouraged. I guess its not REALLY REQUIRED, but because the program tends to accept 10-15 independent students I would say if u can take those classes, u want to be among the strongest candidates when it comes down to them narrowing the choices of who's in and who's out.

• 4 weeks later...

i wish, im still awaiting information about when interviews will be. I talked to a few students who are in the program right now and they told me they had their interviews last year at the end of February. But for some reason my year, everything seems to be extremely slow. If anything end of feb till end of march maybe?

no its just a meeting with the professors of the program, sort of like "what to expect when you start the program." and pretty much information about third and fourth year. I did get an email though about scheduling an interview date and im set =D. my date is march 20th. They will be doing interviews in March (late march) and April. You should be hearing soon from them, i think its only because I'm in the 4 year BS program i hear back pretty fast. Yup i live in NY, i actually attend St. John's right now

(also make sure you check the spam folder...for some reason alot of the emails they send me usually end up there)

• 10 months later...

hey you guys. I am also new to the forum and I decided I;ve want to become a physician assistant. Yay!

However, when i tried to switch my major to be a part of the B.S. Physician Assistant degree program, 

I was told that it was too late. 

Was there a due date for changing my major or something?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Archived