Credentialing process....

I know there is no absolute answer for this, however, I'd like people's input from their own experiences. I "started" a job about 7 weeks ago, however, I cannot work yet because the state still needs to credential me. What is the usual wait time for this?

This is my first PA job and I am in the state of PA. There is nothing out of the ordinary about my background that would add time onto this.

The waiting is causing me a little (read ENORMOUS) anxiety.... so any guesstimate that I can try to make would relieve that a little bit.

I know there is no absolute answer for this, however, I'd like people's input from their own experiences. I "started" a job about 7 weeks ago, however, I cannot work yet because the state still needs to credential me. What is the usual wait time for this?

This is my first PA job and I am in the state of PA. There is nothing out of the ordinary about my background that would add time onto this.

The waiting is causing me a little (read ENORMOUS) anxiety.... so any guesstimate that I can try to make would relieve that a little bit.

Are you licensed by the state? States usually dont credential, hospitals credential. Some hospitals can take several months to credential although they usually allow one to "train".

Thanks for the information. I thought that was the case. I am licensed. I am working for a private urgent care facility that said that they needed the state to credential me and that's what I was waiting for. I feel so lost and cant find much information to read about this...

its usually a hospital system that does the credentialling. i have never heard of a state doing the credentialing. it took me a 2 months to get credentialled, i stayed in contact with the ppl at the credentialing office so i knew exactly what was going on. basically back ground checks, they may check into your education history, drug test, and then its basically waiting untill who ever the "approvers" are to meet at approve your application (the "credentialing committee") ..at my hospital that was only once a month. why dont you ask your job who they sent your paperwork to so you can followup?

I've been following it pretty aggressively, however, I am not coming up with a definitive result from anyone. They keep saying that they will take care of it and that they sent the papers with the fees attached. I am being told that the state has a committee that needs to approve me working as a PA with my SP.

I too have been faced with this problem, and it has been driving me insane! The state had to approve my written agreement, which has taken forever! They told me that PA's and Dr.'s are renewing there licenses and agreements right now so they are set back (up to 60 days). I went to the state representative to see if they could get me a timeline at least. They were told 8 weeks, and I just got it approved today (4 weeks post application) and will hopefully be starting soon. Hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck!

The licensing process for PA is ridiculously fast (like 5 business days), but the credentialing process can be lengthy, no matter where you live. As others have said, usually it's the hospital system or your practice that makes you go through a credentialing process, not the state. I've only had two jobs as a PA. The first one was for a large hospital system and that took 7 weeks to get temporary privileges and 3 months to be fully credentialed. The second job (where I currently work) is a large private practice ER group that is based out of a hospital. That took approximately 6 weeks to get temporary privileges and I'm still waiting for full credentialing (been > 3 months now). As others have said, stay on top of them. Call often and see if there is anything further they need such as documents or licensure. Ask if they offer temporary credentialing Just do whatever you can to grease the wheels. The most important thing is to not take offense or grow overly anxious over this process. EVERYBODY must go through it and the length of time does not in any way reflect your background or your integrity as a PA; it just takes time. Use this time to study, relax, and prepare for your new job. You'll look back on this wait as a minor inconvenience in a few months.

The credentialing board at the Hospital where I have privledges only meets 4 times a year. If you are not ready or lacking items (Background check, state license, DEA, etc.) you have to wait until the next board meeting. If the timing is bad 4-6 months.

I caught the last review by the skin of my teeth and started the whole process two months earlier.

Hang in there...

Actually, I did call my state representative about this because credentialing involves your employer but also the state medical board. They have been incredibly kind and very communicative with me. My credentialing went through today.

Coolbeans---try to do the same for yourself. Here is the website to find your state rep http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/

This might expedite the process but at least let you will know how long you have to wait. I was told typical wait time in the state of PA is 8-12 weeks. Stay positive.

Archived