Personal experiences in Personal Statement

After reading a number of personal letters on this forum, I noticed that most have written regarding their experience with either a sick family member, assisting those in dire need, etc. I have not had any experiences of those kind; I have however met someone who I work with who left the medical profession to pursue his passion (teaching Mathematics - has Masters from Oxford). And that individual has inspired me to pursue what I feel passionate about (pa). Would this suffice? Keeping in mind I will be writing about my experience shadowing PAs, volunteering at a local food pantry, etc.

I'm a science teacher, btw.

Your input would be appreciated.

Write about why you want to give up being a science teacher to pursue PA. What skills are translatable? I'm a proponent of having prior experience to school, because shadowing and volunteering don't make up for really knowing what you'll get yourself into. As an adcom, I may think "This person went into the field of teaching, and wants out of it now to be a PA. What if they do the same thing once they become a PA?" See what I'm getting at? You don't have to mention direct experiences (although it would be helpful), but try and paint a picture of why PA is now your passion as opposed to being a teacher.

Archived