Claims made vs occurrence for first job (contract provider in ER - single coverage)

Greetings all,

New graduate getting hired as contract provider to work night shift single coverage in rural ER. I have to pull the trigger on professional liability coverage today but having hard time deciding between much cheaper "claims made" coverage (about $1600/year), or the much more expensive "occurrence" (about $6500/year).

I think I know the difference between them (Claims made - only good while policy in effect, will need tail coverage when I leave while occurrence is good forever for incidents while coverage was in effect), and I've looked up the state statue of limitations (2 years from reasonable date of discovery).

It seems like it would be cheaper to buy the claims made, even if I have to buy 2 years of tail coverage (at 200% premium) when I leave, than it would be to buy the occurrence every year.

Do you seasoned pro's have any other advice?

Thanks in advance,

Archived