Living with parents

Since none of us know you or your circumstances that is a question you will have to ans for yourself. I don't want to sound harsh but if you get accepted to PA school you will find yourself in a very short time following graduation making decisions about people's health where a mistake on your part could harm or kill them. Do what works best for you and move on.

I don't have experience with this, but there some questions you might want to ask yourself:

How much time will your parents expect from you every week (conversation, chores, social events, etc)? Some parents need to feel very involved in their adult children's lives, even while knowing how hard PA school is.

How much difference is there in travel time between parent's house and your own potential place? Long commutes on top of long days means a worn out student with little time or energy for studying.

In general, does face time with your parents help you cope with stress, or add to it?

Any potential lifestyle conflicts?

If your parents are far from school:

Will you have more distractions while living at home (going out with friends when you should be studying, etc)?

Do you do well with studying on your own after-hours? Living further from school limits your group study options.

Do you have a reliable car with good gas mileage? A car with bad mpg definitely erodes the savings you get by living with parents. As for its reliability, you really don't want to worry about getting stranded on the way to school. Especially on exam days.

Just a few of many questions you should ask yourself.

I'm confused about what the last poster meant. Highly recommends living with parents because it limits distractions? I'd say for me it's the opposite. I live alone in an apartment 10 minutes from school and couldn't be happier. No one interrupts me studying or asks me to do anything. No one to think it's weird when I get up at 3 am to review before Clin Med exams (because it takes 5 hours to review the amount of material that is on a 9 am exam). I have to grocery shop and clean which I wouldn't if I lived w parents but it hardly takes any time because 1 person doesn't make a mess and I stop at a nearby market for fruit/veggies/dairy for the week which takes 10 minutes. I don't cook anything that takes more than a few minutes.

Also, I think if I lived at home or with people who weren't in school I would be jealous of their free time and get grumpy about it. It would be tough to stay home and study all weekend while they're out doing fun things, or watch them have a beer and relax after a hard day at work when I had an even longer day at school and still need to study more...I'm getting jealous just imagining it!

I moved into my parents' house my last year of undergrad to save money for the application/ interview process when my rent was raised on my apartment. I would not do it during PA school. It's a 45 minute commute from campus, which I hate, and there aren't any good places to study in the area. I will definitely be a close walk or short bus ride away from my PA school when I start. Another down side for me is that I can't expect my parents to be quiet when I'm studying. If I'm paying as much rent as a roommate, it's reasonable to ask that they turn down the TV or speak quieter, but not when I'm a freeloader. I still choose to grocery shop for myself and clean up, so I don't save a lot of time in that respect. I do save a lot of money, but if I choose to save money in PA school through a living arrangement it will be with another PA student as a roommate. This way we will have a similar schedule and complete understanding of each other's busy lives, but I would still prefer to live alone again.

If you are currently living with your parents and it's working for you, then it might work during PA school too. It will definitely save you a lot of money. I wouldn't choose it just because it saves money, though, because you have to create the best environment for you to learn and relax in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been freeloading on my parents, it's a 2 hr commute to school. But I'm as broke as can be, so it takes financial stress factor out for a bit. My parents are older and have problems & they have a need to talk to me. So now I talk with them over dinner, vs them calling me daily to talk (that's how it was when I was working and lived by myself). I'm tired everyday, but I've been getting As and Bs. so it is doable, even though it is very difficult.

Archived