Hospital and Practice logistics of Sandy

For my brothers and sisters in the path of the oncoming storm.. How are your practices handing the potential closure due to the hurricane? Will you still be providing any support at all? Will you be rounding in the hospital? Nursing homes?

Does your hospital have a disaster protocol in place that requires you and nursing and support personnel to show up and stay for the duration?

Are you ED guys planning on bunkering over?

What are your plans?

If your family is a part of the groups which have been ordered to evacuate.. will you be going with them? or staying behind to take call?

After Katrina, I am wondering in advance how you all are approaching this.

BTW, my prayers are with you. I hope this is much about nothing.

davis

I work IM inpatient in Manhattan, we've been put up in a hotel down the street. Not quite sure what I'm in for tonight in terms of call-outs, etc... I wasn't originally scheduled, but offered to come in if those who had far drives or family wouldn't be able to make it. They asked me this AM to come work tonight and tomorrow PM. I'm rooming with another PA from the service, so we at least have 2. We cover b/w 60-70 floor Pts plus admissions (which we shouldn't have much of tonight, EMS stops at sustained winds of 60 mph) so I'm hoping we get a good turnout. Winds have started to pickup in the last hour or so, still walkable in the streets but their picking up. Stay safe everyone!

Hey RC

Came in to round, with the hope of trying to get out of here at a decent time before conditions became too unsafe to drive.

Rounds in the ICU are done. Attending has the night call resident coming in early for both Trauma and SCC so the day team can head home

before it gets too bad.

Very pleasantly surprised. :)

Plan is to come in tomorrow assuming roads are safe. Have not been asked to stay overnite and in the past that has not been the expectation.

Night call Trauma/SCC attending has come in early as well.

I'm working currently, and then I'm not scheduled until Friday night. WE have yet to declare a staffing emergency- if we do, then I will be required to stay if my relief cannot show up. I only hope that I can get home after my shift ends at 1900, as I have a bit of driving to get to where I live from the hospital I'm at. If I can't get home, I have an overnight pack and can sleep in an upstairs room. My iPhone has plenty of podcasts and other audio for entertainment :D

My area has been feeling the hurt from the surges of the Long Island Sound. From what I have heard, my ED has been well-staffed with hardworking docs/PAs, etc putting in extra-long shifts and bunking over in on-call rooms. I was evacuated from my home (presumed underwater currently lol) on Sunday and was supposed to work this afternoon but a 1 hour commute from a friend's place made that difficult with every highway in the state shut down. I was told the patient traffic was very low at that point anyway so my shift was canceled.

I expect the true difficulty with the storm will be accommodating high patient volumes after the storm clears as people will likely be flooding (haha) the EDs at the first sign of sunlight. I'm due back on Wednesday and Thursday and expect it to be a mad house. We'll see!

Sunny (and all other East Coast PA's), I hope your home survived. I have two relatives who lost their home. I was on call the night Sandy hit Pennsylvania and spent the night on an air mattress in the clinic library. No on call rooms at the hospital for our service but I do pull first call....didn't even think to ask if there were "call rooms" when I interviewed. Lessons learned.

My heart goes out to those who lost family, a home or business. entpac

Archived