Best Military Branch for a Civilian PA to Commission with No Previous Military Experience

Hello fellow PAs,

I hope this post finds you all well. I am reaching out to the community seeking advice and insights from those who have experience or knowledge about commissioning as a physician assistant in the military, particularly for someone with no prior military experience.

A bit about myself: I am a 26-year-old civilian PA currently working in inpatient hospital psychiatry with approximately 2 years of experience under my belt. I've always had a deep appreciation for those who serve our country, and I'm seriously considering joining the military as a PA. I've been in touch with recruiters from various branches, mainly focusing on opportunities within my state National Guard.

I have a few specific questions and would greatly appreciate any input or advice:

1. Best for Student Loan Repayment: With federal student loan debt totaling around $190,000, I am keen to know which military branch offers the most favorable options for student loan repayment. Any insights or personal experiences on this matter would be highly valuable.

2. Lifestyles and Work within Different Branches: I am curious about the different lifestyles and types of work within the various branches of the military. How does the daily life and job responsibilities differ for a PA in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or National Guard? Any firsthand experiences or anecdotes would be incredibly helpful in understanding what to expect.

3. Career Advancement and Promotion: As a civilian PA looking to commission, I am interested in learning about the pathways for career advancement and promotion within the military. What steps can one take to succeed as a PA in the military, and how does the ranking system work?

4. Other Pertinent Details: Are there any other crucial details or considerations that I should be aware of when making a decision to commission in a particular branch of the Armed Forces? Whether it's about training, deployments, or any unique aspects of service as a PA, your insights would be immensely valuable.

I appreciate your time and assistance in providing guidance as I navigate this significant decision in my career. Thank you all for your service and dedication, and I look forward to hearing from those with valuable experiences to share.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, RhodyPA said:

Hello fellow PAs,

I hope this post finds you all well. I am reaching out to the community seeking advice and insights from those who have experience or knowledge about commissioning as a physician assistant in the military, particularly for someone with no prior military experience.

A bit about myself: I am a 26-year-old civilian PA currently working in inpatient hospital psychiatry with approximately 2 years of experience under my belt. I've always had a deep appreciation for those who serve our country, and I'm seriously considering joining the military as a PA. I've been in touch with recruiters from various branches, mainly focusing on opportunities within my state National Guard.

I have a few specific questions and would greatly appreciate any input or advice:

1. Best for Student Loan Repayment: With federal student loan debt totaling around $190,000, I am keen to know which military branch offers the most favorable options for student loan repayment. Any insights or personal experiences on this matter would be highly valuable.

2. Lifestyles and Work within Different Branches: I am curious about the different lifestyles and types of work within the various branches of the military. How does the daily life and job responsibilities differ for a PA in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or National Guard? Any firsthand experiences or anecdotes would be incredibly helpful in understanding what to expect.

3. Career Advancement and Promotion: As a civilian PA looking to commission, I am interested in learning about the pathways for career advancement and promotion within the military. What steps can one take to succeed as a PA in the military, and how does the ranking system work?

4. Other Pertinent Details: Are there any other crucial details or considerations that I should be aware of when making a decision to commission in a particular branch of the Armed Forces? Whether it's about training, deployments, or any unique aspects of service as a PA, your insights would be immensely valuable.

I appreciate your time and assistance in providing guidance as I navigate this significant decision in my career. Thank you all for your service and dedication, and I look forward to hearing from those with valuable experiences to share.

I want to lead with I'm a bit different, retiring and then attending PA school in May. However, I have 21+ years in the military (Army/Air Force) and the first thing to note is several branches pull from the IPAP rather than off the street. I know the Air Force is like that, and possibly the Army. Also, AF cut out bonsus for PAs this FY.

Military is a way different style, IMO you need to join because you want to serve or you will be miserable. We are on the brink of war with China. Military leaders have said not a matter of if but when and are trying to prolong the conflict. 

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3521976/kendall-outlines-china-threat-in-stark-detail-offers-blueprint-for-effective-re/

Rank in the military is based on years as an officer. Air Force for example is 2 at 2nd Lt, 2 at First Lt, 4 at Captain, 8-10 for Major, and so on. Every year it's the same BS of are we going to get paid because Congress can't figure stuff out, get's annoying. You don't get to pick where you go, it's the needs of the military. In the AF if you don't make rank twice, (passed over) your are done and will be kicked out. The 20 year retirement pension is gone for new members, it's now like a 401K, but that may not matter to you. 

Pay is set (with the exception of bonuses). IE I get the same $10,000 a month as other E-8's in my area with 21+ years of service. Only difference would be a bit based on dependents. You get paid housing based on location, some areas (over seas primarily) get Cost of Living.

IMO look into USPHS first, then Air Guard. I was full time Air Guard and my unit wished I could stay and be their PA (not medical at all in military) Air Guard is more family focused IMO. I would reach out to recruiters and see, many branches are changing up their bonuses and Medical switched to Defense Health Agency so it's almost like it's own branch. 

This is just some of the stuff I have seen non-med wise with 20+ years of service. If you join, find that high ranking NCO and listen to what they say/advice. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Air Force still has Retention Bonuses (talk of cutting it but it is still in play as of FY24). Also, PAs get about $14k additional pay per year for board cert/incentive pay (above base officer pay).  That being said, I agree with the previous post...join the military because you want to serve or you will be miserable.  

• Like 1

Look into the Army Reserve as and not just the Army Guard. I’m a medic in the Guard and have friends in the Reserve, it could be just the respective units we’re at but they seem to do a lot more medical training than we do. Army Reserve also typically promotes people quicker since it’s a smaller organization.

you can also look into the Air Guard for similar reasons. I’m sure they all have great bonus repayment options plus annual bonuses for PAs.