physiatry

A good friend of mine did inpatient physiatry right out of school for several years. Most of it was acute stroke rehab. Apparently it was quite rewarding on a personal and professional level. She loved the specialty and only left because EM paid more and she was a single mom at the time and needed the money. 

• 1 month later...

New grad here, I started my first job in an inpatient rehab a couple months ago and so far I'm loving it. We get a lot of strokes, hip fractures, amputations, multi trauma, TBI, spinal cord injuries, Guillian barre, critical illness myopathy, CABG, LVAD, and transplant patients. We offer PT, OT, speech, music therapy, recreational therapy, and aquatic therapy.  I carry my own load of patients that I round on as well as doing most of the admission and discharge orders and putting out fires during the day. Like the other poster mentioned, it is incredibly rewarding seeing patients who have been so sick get better and go home. 

• Like 1