Civilian PA on Military Base

Hello all! As the topic suggests, I am looking for insight into life as a civilian PA working on a military base. From what I can gather, the job I'm currently looking at is at a military treatment facility, meaning I will likely see active duty as well as their dependents & maybe retirees. There is no mention of specialty, but I am assuming it is primary care. I am in need of a career change. For background, my husband is active duty military & I have been practicing for just over a year. My current job is making me feel uneasy due to patient volumes (anywhere from 30-50 per shift, single provider coverage, SP only available by phone) & lack of support for providers. So, what are the pros & cons of working as a civilian PA for the military? Is this a good position for newer graduates?

• Administrator

Haven't worked as a civilian PA on a military facility, but I did two student rotations at Madigan Army Medical Center. I'd say with you being a military spouse already, you're not going to have much in the way of cultural adaptation to learn. My experience was that ranks and who was military vs. civilian didn't matter for patient care, but I did talk with one civilian PA who got a reserve commission just so he could deploy.

The EMRs (there were like three) sucked badly, there was bureaucracy everywhere, but no one ever nickel'd and dime'd the patients. Care involved active duty soldiers, reservists, retirees (although I don't pretend to understand the rules on who gets to use active duty army facilities vs. who has to use the VA), and tons of dependents. Maybe overall a bit fitter population than average... but not by much when you add everyone in.

As far as government jobs, you get federal benefits, which I understand to be great, at the expense of "meh" compensation. Not sure how much a difference being one year into practice makes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

Haven't worked as a civilian PA on a military facility, but I did two student rotations at Madigan Army Medical Center. I'd say with you being a military spouse already, you're not going to have much in the way of cultural adaptation to learn. My experience was that ranks and who was military vs. civilian didn't matter for patient care, but I did talk with one civilian PA who got a reserve commission just so he could deploy.

The EMRs (there were like three) sucked badly, there was bureaucracy everywhere, but no one ever nickel'd and dime'd the patients. Care involved active duty soldiers, reservists, retirees (although I don't pretend to understand the rules on who gets to use active duty army facilities vs. who has to use the VA), and tons of dependents. Maybe overall a bit fitter population than average... but not by much when you add everyone in.

As far as government jobs, you get federal benefits, which I understand to be great, at the expense of "meh" compensation. Not sure how much a difference being one year into practice makes.

Thank you, I appreciate your insight!