What are my chances/School list help!

Good afternoon all,

I hate to do this but I would like to know my chances as well as curtailing my list of schools to apply to for next year's cycle. My stats as listed:

Overall GPA - 2.88 with approximately 241 credit hours

Last 60 - 3.60

Last 40 - 3.85 

Pre-requisite GPA - 3.60

GRE - 152 Quantitative, 150 Verbal, 3.0 writing

PCE - >10,000 hours as a Paramedic (This includes about 8,000 hours as an EMT/Paramedic volunteer and about 2,000 hours as a paid paramedic)

HCE - ~300 hours in various roles (COVID vaccinator, medical disaster relief, free clinic volunteer)

Shadow hours - ~40 (mostly pre-COVID and some online shadowing in various fields)

5 LOR (2 really good ones from direct supervisors at my station, 1 pretty good RN/Charge nurse, 2 okayish MD's at the hospital I frequently interact with)

I am more focused on applying to schools that look at the last 60 credit or that have a lower minimum overall GPA as I have had to grow quite a bit since my poor undergraduate record. My school list as follows:

Eastern Virginia Medical School
Mary Baldwin University (Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences)
Radford University
Shenandoah University
South University - Richmond

George Washington University

Rosalind Franklin Univ of Medicine

Lincoln Memorial University - Knoxville
South College - Nashville
South College - Knoxville
Meharry Medical College

Yale University Physician Assistant Online Program

I was wondering if there are any other schools that I may look to that focus on the last 60 credit hours so I do not get automatically filtered out. 

Thank you in advance!

3 hours ago, dzd935935 said:

FYI Shenandoah requires one letter of reference from an academic professional - it's hidden a bit deep in their requirements and I had to withdraw my application because I don't have one and didn't notice the requirement until I was emailed about it.

Understood, I remember seeing that on their website. Figured I would ask my professor next semester

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mac_attack92 said:

I graduated undergrad in 2014. The last 60 credits were achieved within the past three to four years

Probably good that you are concentrating on schools that value the last 60 credits or so. Some other schools may automate filtering students with GPAs less that 3.0 but it still may be a good strategy to address your grades up-front in your cover letter and -- without making it the major theme of your personal statement --  hitting on it there as well.

Good luck!

Edited by UGoLong

57 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Probably good that you are concentrating on schools that value the last 60 credits or so. Some other schools may automate filtering students with GPAs less that 3.0 but it still may be a good strategy to address your grades up-front in your cover letter and -- without making it the major theme of your personal statement --  hitting on it there as well.

Good luck!

Thank you for the response! Still working on my personal statement, the schools I have chosen either have stipulations on the last 60 credits or a lower overall GPA. Anymore schools that come to mind?

Would you recommend confronting the low grades within the first couple of paragraphs?

LMU Knoxville is a bit stat-hungry this early in their program; but you still have a chance. 

South College is also known for needing 3.5+ for an interview, but you still have a chance.

Meharry favors African-American students heavily; state school so highly competitive & they are now so they will most likely have a higher GPA requirement.

You might have a good chance with LMU-Harrogate as well

Edited by KalebPA
unprofessional adjective

1 hour ago, KalebPA said:

LMU Knoxville is a bit stat-hungry this early in their program; but you still have a chance. 

South College is also known for needing 3.5+ for an interview, but you still have a chance.

Meharry favors African-American students heavily; state school so highly competitive & they are now so they will most likely have a higher GPA requirement.

Thank you for the response! I am based out of Virginia so I am looking into every possible avenue 

9 hours ago, mac_attack92 said:

Thank you for the response! Still working on my personal statement, the schools I have chosen either have stipulations on the last 60 credits or a lower overall GPA. Anymore schools that come to mind?

Would you recommend confronting the low grades within the first couple of paragraphs?

I really don't know which schools emphasize the last 60 credit hours but you can probably find out from their web pages. It's been 20 years since I applied to PA programs.

I think I would address the grades relatively early in the essay, though I wouldn't dwell on that too much. Just the lesson you learned and how you've been successful since. (Obstacle overcome, etc),. And don't let moving up a discussion of the episode screw up the chronology of what you are writing nor become excessive.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:27 PM, KalebPA said:

Do you know if South College needs a 300+ for interviews? I did not realize they were rolling so I can't decide if I should take the GRE again before applying.

My stats:

I graduated with a Masters in Medicine (MSMS)

Overall GPA: 3.6

Overall Science: 3.4

Graduate Science/Overall: 3.9

GRE: 297 overall, 4.5 analytical writing

PCE~ 2,300 hours

Volunteer~ 336 hours

LOR: 1 MD, 1 PA, 1 work supervisor, 1 academic advisor

• 2 months later...

HI! applied mid June. haven't heard anything. sent an email Sept. 9th asking for an update and was responded with " We are currently working to review all applications. We are behind schedule due to the above-average number of applications we have received during this cycle. You should be receiving feedback on your application soon"  its now nov 12 and haven't heard anything. this is my top school. I dont want to send another email asking for an update. was wondering if anyone has heard anything since this time? Should I reach out again or is anyone else waiting a response as well!?

19 hours ago, ALLYHOWIE said:

HI! applied mid June. haven't heard anything. sent an email Sept. 9th asking for an update and was responded with " We are currently working to review all applications. We are behind schedule due to the above-average number of applications we have received during this cycle. You should be receiving feedback on your application soon"  its now nov 12 and haven't heard anything. this is my top school. I dont want to send another email asking for an update. was wondering if anyone has heard anything since this time? Should I reach out again or is anyone else waiting a response as well!?

2 months having gone by. I'd write again if I were in your shoes. I don't think that it's nagging after 2 months.

Edited by UGoLong