NHSC Loan Repayment FY 2010

i didn't apply for this year, but am intending on applying for 2011 (whenever they open the application process). I hope you heard good news. What was your HPSA score? The area I am practicing in has a HPSA score of 16, and I am curious if that is competitive enough to get the Loan Repayment....

from the NHSC facebook posts:

To clarify questions regarding the LRP applications. All funded applicants were notified by October 15, 2010. During the application cycle that closed in August 2010, the Corps received more applications than we were able to fund. However, we are currently exploring ways to make additional awards by the end of this calendar year.

For that reason, we have not sent qualified applicant’s letters saying they are not funded. We are looking at every option to get as many clinicians into the Corps as possible. We ask for your patience as we work through the process. As soon as a final decision has been made, unfunded applicants will be notified. We do not have a specific date available just yet for these decisions.

• 1 month later...

The National Health Service Corps 2011 loan repayment application cycle is now open. We hope that you will help us spread the word about the program and the exciting changes being implemented this year including:

• Increase in Financial Support. The Corps loan repayment program now begins with an initial award of up to $60,000 for two years of service. You may receive up to $170,000 in loan repayment for completing a five-year service commitment and, with continued service, may be able to pay off all eligible student loans.
  • More Flexible Options to Complete Your Service. The loan repayment program now offers three options for fulfilling your service obligation - a two-year full-time contract, a four-year half-time contract, and a two-year half-time contract.
  • Increased Credit for Teaching. The service obligation for clinical practice hours has been updated to include a 20 percent credit for teaching and a 50 percent credit for teaching at a Teaching Health Center.

Please forward this announcement or direct prospective clinicians to NHSC.hrsa.gov for more information or to begin the application process.

• 1 month later...

To clarify... does NHSC pay for out-of-state tuition? The website gives a good bit of information, but does not answer general questions like this. I am trying to get accepted at UK for spring 2012. Although this is actually closer to me than the programs in my state (Ohio), it is still out-of-state and they do not allow the same in-state tuition to Ohioans as what Ohio University campuses give to Ky residents.

Archived