Getting Back Into the Field after Long Absence

Hey all.

I practiced as a PA for 8 years. Three years ago, I ended up relocating abroad due to family issues (more specifically, my wife's family). There weren't any PA positions where I was so I had to change fields for a bit (worked as freelance software developer for a while). Next year, I will be returning to the US permanently (so I'll have been out of the field for 4 years in total).

I left my last job on very good terms and have references.

I realize I'm not in a great position here, but I'm willing to work anywhere and do anything. 

It seems like this board is filled with people with a ton of experience. So I figured it would be a good place to ask where to start (I have some ideas, but I just want to see what others have to say).

Any advice is more than appreciated! Thank you! 🙂

Don’t know what your specialty is but you could do a boot camp for hospital medicine or ER. Society of HM and Mayo each have one. I’m sure there’s others out there. You’ll have some explaining to do for the gap but you also have experience so I don’t think it will be too tough to find a job if you’re not too picky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patho said:

Don’t know what your specialty is but you could do a boot camp for hospital medicine or ER. Society of HM and Mayo each have one. I’m sure there’s others out there. You’ll have some explaining to do for the gap but you also have experience so I don’t think it will be too tough to find a job if you’re not too picky.

My specialty was family medicine/internal medicine, but I'm really open to anything and I'm not picky at all (very open to things like rural, prisons, pain management, etc.).

Thanks for the boot camp recommendations! I've never heard of that, but I'll definitely look into it. Looks like it might be a good place to network too!

On 7/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, johnnykage said:

I realize I'm not in a great position here, but I'm willing to work anywhere and do anything.

This, if that is how you really feel, increases the likelihood of you getting back to work. With a primary care background go where most people won't.... rural/remote, community health center, Indian reservation, prison. These places always have trouble recruiting and are more likely to put you to work and let you get back up to speed. The paradox is they are also high acuity, low resource places so they can be particularly challenging.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

This, if that is how you really feel, increases the likelihood of you getting back to work. With a primary care background go where most people won't.... rural/remote, community health center, Indian reservation, prison. These places always have trouble recruiting and are more likely to put you to work and let you get back up to speed. The paradox is they are also high acuity, low resource places so they can be particularly challenging.

Good luck.

I've been looking into the prison system and IHS. I agree that this is probably my best play.

Thanks for the response!

• Upvote 1