University of South Alabama Physician Assistant Studies Program: 2023-2024 Cycle

39 minutes ago, futurePA1500 said:

I just emailed and was told the first 60 acceptances have been given out and they have until 11/27 to respond. They will then go down the list and fill open spots and have an alternate list put together in early February. She said not everyone who interviewed will hear something before Thanksgiving.  

So if we haven't heard then we aren't going to until after Thanksgiving? Aka we're waitlisted or rejected

30 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

Do you guys think tomorrow is too early to email about the waitlist/alternate status? I have another acceptance pending but this is my top choice and I need to make a decision

She said they have until tomorrow to respond so I don’t think they’ll even start reaching out until Tuesday at the earliest, but I don’t think it could hurt to email! 

19 hours ago, hart2hart said:

I'm going to email if no one hears anything today

Have you heard anything about a waitlist? They said at the preview day it would come out in January or Febuary I thought but that seems so late. I know some ppl have declined thier acceptances so I feel like more acceptances should go out soon. 

2 hours ago, PAmedlife said:

Have you heard anything about a waitlist? They said at the preview day it would come out in January or Febuary I thought but that seems so late. I know some ppl have declined thier acceptances so I feel like more acceptances should go out soon. 

Yes I emailed and Ms. Lett said that they will be filing the declined spots until Christmas break, however they don't disclose rankings or anything like that. After the class is pretty much final before Christmas, they create an alternate list near the first of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

As a current student here, I just wanted to say that overall this program is solid. There are great learning opportunities with simulation lab and having practice patients. However, I do believe there is way too much emphasis on board scores after the class of 2022 did not do as well as years past, and the program has implemented reactionary policies which are too extreme and have now caused undue stress on students. They have made the whole clinical year about making an arbitrary score on an EOR instead of cementing what we have learned during didactic and furthering our clinical skills. 

On 12/12/2023 at 5:58 PM, mvls2522 said:

As a current student here, I just wanted to say that overall this program is solid. There are great learning opportunities with simulation lab and having practice patients. However, I do believe there is way too much emphasis on board scores after the class of 2022 did not do as well as years past, and the program has implemented reactionary policies which are too extreme and have now caused undue stress on students. They have made the whole clinical year about making an arbitrary score on an EOR instead of cementing what we have learned during didactic and furthering our clinical skills. 

Do you think that it detracts from the value of the program? I am trying to decide between USA and UNTHSC. Both are incredible programs, and I am having such a hard time choosing.

14 minutes ago, TryingToBePA11 said:

Would it be annoying to email South Alabama/ Jamie Lett about where I stand on the wailist or stand in general? I haven't heard anything from them since the preview day...

I was just there for my preview day on Monday. They have not put together a waitlist yet and they do not give out standings/rankings at all. I'm in the same boat, but they are very strict about not giving out that kind of information......

19 hours ago, hart2hart said:

I was just there for my preview day on Monday. They have not put together a waitlist yet and they do not give out standings/rankings at all. I'm in the same boat, but they are very strict about not giving out that kind of information......

Did they mention at the preview day when they were expecting to put a waitlist together? I know UAB sent out their acceptances not too long ago and there is a lot of overlap with these programs. I assume there are going to be many people who "accepted" a seat at South and who also got accepted into UAB-- and who ultimately have to say no to a program. Just don't know how long I can wait without hearing from South...

13 minutes ago, TryingToBePA11 said:

Did they mention at the preview day when they were expecting to put a waitlist together? I know UAB sent out their acceptances not too long ago and there is a lot of overlap with these programs. I assume there are going to be many people who "accepted" a seat at South and who also got accepted into UAB-- and who ultimately have to say no to a program. Just don't know how long I can wait without hearing from South...

They said after the first of the year, but they weren't super specific....

• 2 weeks later...