Looking for Wilderness Med, Disaster Med ect. rotation

Hey everyone!

I am currently a 1st year didactic student. I get to select an elective for next year. I have always been an outdoors and travel enthusiast and that is something I have wanted to incorporate into my PA career one day.

I am looking for a preceptor for wilderness medicine, search and rescue, disaster medicine or anything along the lines of that. Esentially any outdoors, sports, ect. rotation. Im not sure any rotations like this even exist. I cannot seem to find anything. If anyone has any contacts or can point me in the direction of someone. I would be really grateful! 

55 minutes ago, kweb011 said:

Yellowstone National Park offers rotations within their clinics in the park. I had been looking into it and tried to get a slot myself but didn't work out. I can PM you more info if you are interested.

I would really appreciate some more info on it if you can PM me. That would be great!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have my clinical selections coming up next month and I am lobbying to get this approved. There's a 2 and 4 week option! Just have to go through the approval process and justification that it can be approved as an elective and provides enough experience to be relevant

Also, search the other options on the Wilderness Medical Society website. Their organization is very passionate about these experiences more for MD students but the one linked below is specifically approved for APPs! 

https://wms.org/WMS/Attend/Electives/Virginia/Home.aspx

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, bennefit said:

Also, search the other options on the Wilderness Medical Society website. Their organization is very passionate about these experiences more for MD students but the one linked below is specifically approved for APPs!

WMS will let PAs earn their Fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine designation too.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2023 at 6:19 PM, kweb011 said:

Yellowstone National Park offers rotations within their clinics in the park. I had been looking into it and tried to get a slot myself but didn't work out. I can PM you more info if you are interested.

Hi! I just came across this and I am also very interested in trying to do a rotation here but have had a hard time finding information about it. If you have any info/contacts I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!