SUNY Downstate 2023-2024

6 hours ago, PrePA0811 said:

I hate to say something yet again about my dreadful application process at this school, but it's getting ridiculous now. I've met every academic requirement and LOR requirement to the T, and they still keep invalidating every single thing I upload. It's like they don't even want me to apply. Is anyone else experiencing this? Because it's disheartening and extremely frustrating.

Did they recently say something was wrong? What are they invalidating?

39 minutes ago, PrePA0811 said:

In November they told me two of my LORs were unable to be accepted - one from a DDS I used to work for, and one from a DPT I work for, both which they said aren't listed under their desired "medical providers" to write a LOR, when it legit says on their website they accept physical therapist letters. I then shadowed PAs and received more letters which eventually they took. Then they decided last week to tell me I don't meet their psychology requirement, when I've taken 5 different psychology courses covering the entire human lifespan.

I emailed them asking for help and got an extremely passive-aggressive email back with them basically gaslighting me telling me they told me months ago about the psych thing (they didn't!) and it's really upsetting. I'm just in shock that they treat people like this, and I've been told I'm not the first to get straight up disrespected by them.

Maybe I'm dodging a bullet and them showing their true colors is a warning. I hope they've been nice to you at least.

Ngl it's been a similar struggle. On their website they say they accept organic chemistry as an upper division science course and in asterik they say usually these courses are 300 or 400 level, being junior or senior (I don't think I've ever had someone take organic chemistry in junior year). In almost every CUNY, it does start with a 300, but in hunter it's a 200, all be it, the same course. They said they couldn't accept mine just because of the number, ignoring the fact that it's literally the same course. Then I used my Human Genetics course, which is a physical anthropology course at the 300 level. Mind you, its not the social aspect, but the physical aspect, meeting the physical science requirement. It is also literally a genetics class that Hunter classifies into ANTHP where KBCC classifies it as BIOL, even though it's the same class. They never even showed up to the virtual appointment I made, which they made me make and it was 2 weeks AFTER this problem occured. Then over email, they kept denying it and asking for more and more info, until they just decided to let the program review it, wasting my time. The admissions committee is very unprofessional, they don't know what they are doing nor do they know what we are saying, but the people who interviewed me were lovely. This is a small step and we only have to deal with them right now so keep your head high!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrePA0811 said:

Their not accepting the number of the course is WILD. I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I'm really sorry it happened to you too. It's beyond stressful, frustrating, and downright disappointing after their BEAST of a supplemental application (which was way too much work imo lol). Thank you for taking the time to respond 🙂Did you hear back from them after they reviewed your app?

I have yet to hear back. I interviewed Nov 27th and I think this has already been an insane amount of time to be waiting on a response. Even if it’s a no, I’d rather just know so I can move forward with other plans, although I would like to attend this institution.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:26 PM, PrePA0811 said:

I hate to say something yet again about my dreadful application process at this school, but it's getting ridiculous now. I've met every academic requirement and LOR requirement to the T, and they still keep invalidating every single thing I upload. It's like they don't even want me to apply. Is anyone else experiencing this? Because it's disheartening and extremely frustrating.

I am experiencing the same thing and I am a reapplicant. I completely agree about your feelings.

As far as approving the course, they did the same thing to me. I think what you should do is submit a course syllabus. They can not say they are not going to not accept a course because it is under a 200 when it is the same exact course as the 300 level. The course syllabus will save you.

I don't know why Admissions is so rude.  Other schools are way more accepting to assisting you with questions and problems.

• Like 1

Yeah this school is a joke. They extended their application deadline by a whole month THE DAY of the deadline. Red flags all around. No thank you. I wish everyone the best of luck as I’ve already been accepted to another program. I’m no longer going to waste my energy on this school.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 1:26 PM, PrePA0811 said:

They did this to me last year. Took 3 months to get verified. And I got the last interview in March and ended up on the waitlist where they gave me even more run around 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After 4 application cycles, Downstate has finally accepted me.  I honestly thought I was going to be wait listed again or receive another rejection because I interviewed in January and have not heard anything until today.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

I know this is not easy news to share, but just wanted to ask did anyone receive a rejection letter. I know I most likely did not get in since I didn't hear back for so long, but I still didn't receive any sort of update email from Downstate, and I wanted to confirm here if anyone received one. Thank you.

16 hours ago, downstate2002 said:

Hello everyone, 

I know this is not easy news to share, but just wanted to ask did anyone receive a rejection letter. I know I most likely did not get in since I didn't hear back for so long, but I still didn't receive any sort of update email from Downstate, and I wanted to confirm here if anyone received one. Thank you.

I interviewed on 01/31 and haven't heard back. I emailed admissions a few weeks ago and was told the program was still rendering decisions.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:17 PM, MPH01 said:

I interviewed on 01/31 and haven't heard back. I emailed admissions a few weeks ago and was told the program was still rendering decisions.

Thank you so much for your response. I also interviewed on January 31st, but have yet to hear back, which is definitely not a good sign. They still haven't sent out a rejection letter, so I don't know what to expect. I emailed them as well, they said I would be emailed once a decision had been made.