Elective rotation choice

Looking for some advice on what specialty to do my elective rotation in. I am currently in PA school and my elective rotation came up rather early in my clinical year (rotation #2). The choices I have for my elective include:

- Adult nephrology

- Dermatology

- Gastroenterology

- Geriatrics

- Pulmonology

- Pain management

- Thoracics

- Trauma surgery

- PICU

- SICU

- Pain management

- Pediatric cardiology

- Pediatric nephrology

- Pediatric infectious disease

- Urgent care

I really enjoy pediatrics and working with kids, but I am also looking for a rotation that will generally benefit me as a provider and in other rotations moving forward. Thanks in advance!

• Administrator

Urgent care and pain management are things you can--and likely will--pick up on the outside. Oh, geriatrics, too. If you WANT to go into those areas, feel free to spend your elective there.

However, this is a fantastic list of meaningful subspecialties. Understand that if you're going to do Peds Nephro or Peds Cards, you're going to almost certainly be restricted to large metro areas, but if you want meaningful medicine, good pay, and public transportation to get to work.. pick something like that.

Honestly, just pick something you're interested in! Whether interested in now, as a potential job later, or based off pre-PA interest. This elective will not only give you educational opportunities but also a trial run in what it might be like to work in that field! Also, great networking opportunity. I got my first job on my elective rotation that I was interested in and thought I'd might wanna work in 😊

Trauma, SICU, and urgent care are broad and afford opportunities for procedures. If you're interested in more inpatient exposure and high acuity/sick patients, the former two will be good choices. If you wanna go more of the peds route, I think PICU would be pretty cool as well as give you inpatient experience which will complement your peds rotation (typically outpatient, but confirm with your coordinator). 

Another consideration is to rotate in an area you're deficient in to round out your PA education. 

Your coordinator may also be helpful in explaining which of the available rotations are great ones. 

Good luck!