Study Abroad

Hi all,

During my 4 years as an undergrad, I spent one semester abroad in Australia. The classes were pass/fail, with my school accepting C or better as a passing mark. On my transcript, they come across as "T" for Transfer. No grade is given and thus they do not effect my GPA. My real question is this: CASPA requires that we list ALL attended institutions, even foreign (I think). However, I was still technically considered an enrolled student of my U.S. school as far as I know (heck, I paid their tuition).

I don't know if CASPA requires a foreign transcript for a situation like study abroad. I tried calling them but no answer. Anybody know?

Thanks!

Nick

• 2 years later...
Guest ALICIA21
Hi all,

During my 4 years as an undergrad, I spent one semester abroad in Australia. The classes were pass/fail, with my school accepting C or better as a passing mark. On my transcript, they come across as "T" for Transfer. No grade is given and thus they do not effect my GPA. My real question is this: CASPA requires that we list ALL attended institutions, even foreign (I think). However, I was still technically considered an enrolled student of my U.S. school as far as I know (heck, I paid their tuition).

I don't know if CASPA requires a foreign transcript for a situation like semester abroad japan. I tried calling them but no answer. Anybody know?

Thanks!

Nick

My real question is this: CASPA requires that we list ALL attended institutions, even foreign

Hi all,

I don't know if CASPA requires a foreign transcript for a situation like study abroad. I tried calling them but no answer. Anybody know?

Thanks!

Nick

From their FAQ below:

https://portal.caspaonline.org/caspa2008/foreign_transcripts.html

Q: I have taken courses outside of the U.S. as part of study abroad. Do I list it in the College Course Completed section and the Institutions Attended section?

A: Yes. Study abroad is defined by CASPA as courses that are taken through a foreign institution while the student is currently enrolled at a U.S. institution. If you have attended a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. institution and all courses, hours, and grades appear on the U.S. transcripts, list those courses in the coursework section under the U.S. Institution. However, if all courses do not appear on your home institution transcript, or are listed as transfer credit, if grades are not assigned, or if any other irregularity exists, contact the CASPA Office at 617-612-2080.

>>>>

I was in the same position, did a year abroad through my home U.S. university. Just listed the coursework under the U.S. school with "P" for Pass as the grade and "Study Abroad" listed under the "Type" field on the Coursework page of my app. They did not require a transcript from the intl. institution or any type of special transcript evaluation since it was via my home university. Email or call them to doublecheck that your scenario meets their criteria for the above, but that is my experience?

• 2 years later...
From their FAQ below:

https://portal.caspaonline.org/caspa2008/foreign_transcripts.html

Q: I have taken courses outside of the U.S. as part of study abroad. Do I list it in the College Course Completed section and the Institutions Attended section?

A: Yes. Study abroad is defined by CASPA as courses that are taken through a foreign institution while the student is currently enrolled at a U.S. institution. If you have attended a study abroad program sponsored by a U.S. institution and all courses, hours, and grades appear on the U.S. transcripts, list those courses in the coursework section under the U.S. Institution. However, if all courses do not appear on your home institution transcript, or are listed as transfer credit, if grades are not assigned, or if any other irregularity exists, contact the CASPA Office at 617-612-2080.

>>>>

I was in the same position, did a year abroad through my home U.S. university. Just listed the coursework under the U.S. school with "P" for Pass as the grade and "Study Abroad" listed under the "Type" field on the Coursework page of my app. They did not require a transcript from the intl. institution or any type of special transcript evaluation since it was via my home university. Email or call them to doublecheck that your scenario meets their criteria for the above, but that is my experience?

Hi LoRes, I was wondering how that worked out for you listing your study abroad courses as mentioned. Any problems?

There are lots of different ways to report study abroad through CASPA, and it varies depending on how your school SENT you. However, CASPA never accepts foreign transcripts, so that option is off the table:

Q: I have taken courses outside of the U.S. as part of study abroad. What do I do?

A: The procedure for Study Abroad coursework varies depending on your type of program and how it is reported by your domestic institution. Please review your options below and contact CASPA Customer Service with any questions:

1. STUDY VIA UNDERGRADUATE INSTITUTION: If you went through your undergraduate's Study Abroad program and your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses appear on your undergraduate transcript, then you should report your coursework under your undergrad, as it appears on your undergraduate transcript. For course type, you would select “study abroad.” Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution.
  2. STUDY VIA ANOTHER U.S. INSTITUTION: If you went abroad through another U.S. school’s Study Abroad program and paid tuition to that U.S. institution (School B) rather than your undergraduate (School A), you should report your coursework as if you were a student at School B as it appears on School B’s transcript and submit a transcript from School B. For course type, you would select “study abroad.” Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution or list your work under School A.
  3. STUDY VIA AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY: (examples: Institute for the International Education of Students [iES], Center for Cross-Cultural Studies, etc) In this situation, you should contact the company itself to determine if they have a transcript on file for you, and if your home institution is listed on the top of this transcript. If so, you must submit to CASPA a company transcript, which you can request directly from the service, and since the company reports these courses on their transcript as being taken through your home institution, the courses should be listed under your HOME SCHOOL on your application. However, list them as they appear on the COMPANY TRANSCRIPT. The course type would remain “study abroad.” Do not list that you attended a foreign or unlisted institution. This company transcript should be sent with the cover sheet from your home school, and would be considered an addendum to your regular transcript.
  4. INDEPENDENTLY ATTENDING FOREIGN SCHOOL or UNDERGRAD STUDY WHERE GRADES DO NOT APPEAR ON UNDERGRAD TRANSCRIPT: If you studied abroad independently of any U.S. university or company OR you went through your undergrad but those grades did not appear on your undergrad transcript, you should list the school as a foreign institution and your study abroad courses under this school with the classification “study abroad.” Please note that you may need to obtain a foreign evaluation for your foreign transcript. You should contact the schools which you're applying to and determine what they require; some schools will require nothing at all for study abroad work, others will accept the foreign transcript mailed to them directly, while some may require an evaluation of the foreign transcript which may be submitted to CASPA. Please note that CASPA does not require applicants who attend foreign schools to supply any documentation; we merely forward evaluations to your schools. Therefore, if your schools indicate that an evaluation is unnecessary, you would still list on your application that you attended a foreign school but not obtain or send documentation to CASPA.

Archived