CM&F Supplemental or Occurance? Which one should I get?

Hello everyone. I am finally starting my very first job this month. I like most things about this job but they don't pay for tail coverage. The current malpractice coverage they offer is a claims made.

I wanted some advice about how to cover my self since tail isn't an option. I am not sure which one to go with here can someone with more understanding of insurance explain to me how supplemental insurance from CM&F work? I understand roughly how occurance works, however, not sure which one to go with. I understand there is a price difference.

I would really appreciate all the help I can get with this. Thank you! 

You can try contacting CM&F directly and see what they have to say about the utility of a supplemental policy in this situation -- I don't think it'd be sufficient, though. Personally, I'd pay for a claims made or occurrence policy for myself. And then I'd have my employer pay me the money they would've spent on a policy. If it's an umbrella policy, they likely won't agree to that, so you may want to get the supplemental so you have your own policy and just fork out the tail coverage yourself if/when you leave. You could also just gey your own policy for peace of mind, but it does get pricey. 

Do your best renegotiating your contract to include tail. 

Edited by SedRate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SedRate said:

I haven't heard about berxi. I've used CM&F and they make it pretty easy, no complaints. 

Oh good to hear. I want to compare my payment with others, I am being quoted about $3600 per year occurrence from CM&F is that similar to what you pay? 

10 hours ago, Pearla said:

Oh good to hear. I want to compare my payment with others, I am being quoted about $3600 per year occurrence from CM&F is that similar to what you pay? 

I can't remember how much my policy was as a new grad but that seems like a good price. Make sure it's for the appropriate coverage amount. (If you'll be working in a hospital, they require that you have a minimum $1mil/$3mil policy.)