LORs when you don’t really know anyone…

In all honesty, I don’t know who to ask for LORs. I’m in the midst of a career change. I haven’t had any professors more than a quarter/semester. My supervisor at my most recent PCE job(which I’m no longer there) doesn’t really know me from anyone else that worked the same position- so she can’t speak of my work ethic or anything else. Previous supervisors aren’t anyone that I’d even want to write anything. I find that it’s also not that polite to ask someone you shadowed for a LOR. I’m stuck in this situation. Any ideas?

Edited by TNVOLPA

I changed careers to go to PA school and asked some work-related people to write LORs. For treatment skills, I had the chief of the EMS unit (I was a part-time paramedic) write a letter that was actually written by my Lt -- also our training officer -- for his signature). For my work ethic, I had an executive in the company  I left several years before write a letter; he is also a friend to this day. And for my academics, I had the professor who had taught me organic chem a few years before.

Not recommendation writer has to know everything about you. I suggest  that you pick people who -- between them -- piece your story together.

Best LOR I ever read was from an applicant's college soccer coach. Don't sell yourself short!

I've had similar anxiety regarding attaining a LOR from an academic source/professor since I'm a nontraditional student. Thankfully many schools don't specify that they need letters from professor but if you NEED a letter from a professor, I would reach out to a former professor whose class you performed well in and say something along the lines of "Hi im a nontraditional student applying to PA school. I took your class in ______ and although it has been a long time I would sincerely appreciate if you could write a letter endorsing my work ethic and ability to succeed in an academic environment" or something like that. Then of course supply them with your CV to reference and maybe even personal statement and if you wrote any papers or did any projects for their class maybe send that as well. I'd like to think that our professors want us to succeed and would be willing to help. 

Also, another poster suggested having one of your coworkers write a letter. I think that's a good idea! I actually wrote a LOR for a colleague once. It wasn't an issue and she got into grad school with it. Also, some schools indicate that they don't want letter from someone who you shadowed briefly so that idea is probably off the table unless you have shadowed them numerous times and have built some rapport with them. 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:33 PM, TNVOLPA said:

I find that it’s also not that polite to ask someone you shadowed for a LOR.

Why is that not polite? I had no healthcare connections and got no where with cold calling offices, so I asked to shadow my own PA as she was the one who inspired me to become a PA in the first place. I felt like she was able to speak about my character and interest enough to write a LOR, so I asked her. She happily obliged and wrote a great reference.

This part is a bit of tough love:

I find it worrisome that you haven't developed any positive relationships with people who can be a reference/provide a LOR. There's gotta be someone. Really think about it. If you truly don't have anyone -- old coaches, coworkers, someone you babysat for, supervisors for volunteer work, a faculty member who helped with a club you were in, etc -- I encourage you to immerse yourself in something where you can develop relationships and showcase yourself enough to be remembered. Not only will this potentially lead to great connections and provide future references/LORs, this will also give you an opportunity to learn how to network, develop relationships, and have an impact on those around you. After all, being a PA will require you to work with people and you will have to provide professional references for any job and hospital privileges you apply for.