UW Tacoma is a go!

That was hard! I want to do rural medicine, so symbolically Yakima would be the obvious choice. But, I am also really supportive of MEDEX's efforts to support vets, which would make being part of Tacoma Class #1 both symbolic & historic. Being closer to extended family makes Tacoma the better choice, but the fact that they're in-laws & drive me & my wife crazy most of the time makes Yakima the better choice. I couldn't decide, so I asked my wife. She said Tacoma... so being a typical goofball husband, I chose Yakima :)

Pa ha ha ha. The in-laws are that bad, huh?

That was hard! I want to do rural medicine, so symbolically Yakima would be the obvious choice. But, I am also really supportive of MEDEX's efforts to support vets, which would make being part of Tacoma Class #1 both symbolic & historic. Being closer to extended family makes Tacoma the better choice, but the fact that they're in-laws & drive me & my wife crazy most of the time makes Yakima the better choice. I couldn't decide, so I asked my wife. She said Tacoma... so being a typical goofball husband, I chose Yakima :)

Oh my goodness! That really made me laugh! I know EXACTLY what you mean about in-laws! I swear, to maintain a happy marriage, I think you have to have an in-law buffer zone of at least 200 miles!

Bill, I did receive that e-mail form Mariah yesterday as well asking to make a decision on either Tacoma or Yakima by this Friday. I did express interest in the Tacoma site on my supplemental but would be happy getting into anywhere, so I don't know how to choose!

This was not an easy choice at all. Ultimately I clicked Yakima... odd since I just assumed I would jump at the chance to go to Tacoma campus and not have to change church or anything else. Yakima will give my husband better chances to do his hobby while I'm in school though, and regardless of site - we'll be broke and are okay with that! :)

Choice was a no brainer for me. My whole career has been in Rural EMS and latley Rural community health. I live, work, and raise my children in small rural towns. I intend to spend my career doing rural medicine so its not a hard choice at all. Plus I get the feeling Tacoma is more military oriented, shrugs. I hope it works out well at dividing the candidates.

I wish you all luck and the best in your decisions.

I file this one under be careful what you wish for. They are having epic difficulty finding clinical sites for the students they have now, adding another 30 a year will only make things worse.

MEDEX grads seem to be more willing to help out MEDEX students though. I think they put something in the drinks at the first social that brain washes you into wanting to help. So with each new batch of grads you get more potential clinical sites. I already asked the senior partner in my practice about precepting students and he gave me the green light. I would take MEDEX students in a heart beat.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a copy of that email

You are receiving this email because you applied to the Bachelor’s degree track at MEDEX (BCHS), and you listed Yakima as your first choice training site. Most of you also indicated that you would be interested to know if we were able to open a new training site in Tacoma, WA in 2013.

We have good news for everyone. Earlier this month, MEDEX received the necessary approval from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education

for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) to open a new training site in Tacoma. Prior to that, we received a federal training grant to support start-up costs for expansion of the program to Tacoma. So, it’s official: we will have a class of first-year PA students in Tacoma in 2013.

What we need for you to do now is to follow the instructions below, and tell us which site you would like to be considered for if you are admitted in 2013: Yakima or Tacoma.

We will then evaluate your application in the appropriate pool. You have to choose one or the other – you can’t indicate “no preference.” We expect competition to be approximately equal for both sites, so don’t try to guess which applicant pool offers better odds of admission.

For those of you who live in Washington State, geographic proximity will probably be the most important factor in your decision, and that is fine. For those of you applying from outside the state the following information may be helpful.

Our Tacoma satellite will be located on the campus of the University of Washington-Tacoma. This is a downtown campus with a strong urban “feel.” Tacoma is a moderate-size city on Puget Sound with an industrial heritage. It is close to Joint Base Lewis-McChord and has a sizable community of active duty and retired military personnel.

Our Yakima satellite has been in successful operation for eighteen years. Yakima is located in an agricultural area of central Washington, with easy access to outdoor recreational opportunities. This site has been especially popular with MEDEX students from rural and small town backgrounds. We would recommend Yakima to any of you who don’t like cities or traffic congestion.

Please complete this short survey indicating your training location preference by following this link https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/medex/182122.

Complete the survey no later than 1:00pm Friday October 26, 2012; this survey will no longer be available after 1:00pm Friday.

Thank you,

The MEDEX Admissions Team

University of Washington School of Medicine

Hmmm.....I never received that e-mail??? I did check the box on my supplemental app stating that I would be interested in Tacoma should it become available. Now I'm worried????

Do you want Tacoma? If so, I would actually suggest you call. I am usually against calling and/or being annoying, but in your case, I would definitely call. Especially since some of the Yakima invites already went out. I would simply ask if you were supposed to receive the Yakima vs Tacoma email, and let them know you never received it. Good luck!

I was asked on my supplemental app....I turned that in on Aug 28th so I am wondering if by that point that had just added it to the standard form. I said yes to Tacoma if it became available. However, I didn't receive anything else, other than "Your app has been received and meets the requirements, look for more info to come etc...". I tell ya I am a basketcase!

I was asked on my supplemental app....I turned that in on Aug 28th so I am wondering if by that point that had just added it to the standard form. I said yes to Tacoma if it became available. However, I didn't receive anything else, other than "Your app has been received and meets the requirements, look for more info to come etc...". I tell ya I am a basketcase!

It was already on the standard form for all of us..."if Tacoma becomes available, etc". I would call them, otherwise it will be a very long weekend for you.

Sound like we can all take a deep breath for about another 3 weeks or so then before we can expect any invites to go out. Thanks for checking on that.

Maybe. It is good to know a timeline, but January is too far out. That is a bit stressful, but definitely better to know a timelinethan being in the dark about that.

Why is that too far out? Have another program you are working to get into?

My husband is still active duty. He has been working with his branch manager; he is about to come down on orders. So I was hoping to have an answer on whether I get into the program sooner than not, in an attempt to help provide supporting information/reasons to his branch manager. Although it seems the branch manager is willing to work with him to a certain extent, you never know. He said it is ok if I stay and complete the program if I get in regardless of where he gets stationed next though, btw, he is just now completing a year in Korea.

Archived