Surgical PA

I am applying to PA school next year, and assuming I get in, what do I have to do to become a surgical PA? This is like my dream specialty as a PA and I would really enjoy it. I have heard different things, such as going to a program that focuses on surgery, doing recidency after PA school and so on. Does anyone know any info, have any advice or know any surgical PA's? Thanks a lot for the help!

If you don't know any surgical PAs, how do you know this is your dream specialty? I'm not trying to be a meanie. But the reality is that you may very well change your mind once you actually understand the daily I&O of a surgical PA. It's often a bunch of grunt work for no glory. Several of my classmates jumped the gun and grabbed at surgical electives for their clinical rotations before having completed their general surgery rotation... and are now scrambling to change things up because it wasn't everything they'd hoped it would be and they don't want to be stuck for another 6-12 weeks doing something they didn't like.

Short answer: do well in school and be impressive on your clinical experiences. I got a job offer from my surgery rotation and I've heard that's common enough. Otherwise I know there are residencies, like you said.

Archived