ARNG question

I am finishing up my 1st year of PA school and I am currently in the process of joining the ARNG (have paperwork/physical done). The agreement I will be joining under (in Missouri) is 3 yrs actively drilling, but the State of Missouri also has a deployment deferral clause for 2 yrs after graduation (I have seen this in writing). Does anyone have any experience with a deployment deferral clause? Is it legitimate or just another facade? I don't mind being deployed but I would like to get some practice experience in the civilian world after I graduate. Also, Is it true that it doesn't matter what unit a PA in the ARNG is attached to, they could/will be deployed with any unit from anywhere? I really appreciate your wisdom. I just can't make this kind of decision without scrutinizing every detail. Thank you, K

Don't take this personally. I think the deployment deferral clause is a debacle if it exists. It's a ploy by the state to claim they are "fully prepared" when in all actuality they can't touch you. You'll do 10 times the medicine in a deployed environment than you would in the civilian world. If you are joining the guard for the right reasons, you'll go on the deployments your state needs you to go on. The ARNG can get a tasking from even the Coast Guard for a PA to go on an Antarctica trip if the Governor and State Surgeon are game. That doesn't mean it will happen. You may very well may get deployed as a part of a U.S. Adjunct to an Afghani Army Infantry unit teaching them medicine and functioning as an adviser. This happens in teams and you would not be the only U.S. guy there. Also you could deploy out with an ARNG infantry unit be it one you are assigned to or not. ARNG PA's fill real jobs that are really needed in a deployed arena. They are a vital component of what we do.

The Army PA answer to your question is, "Pony up! If you join up, take your lumps like the rest of us do. You don't need a deferral. You need fresh socks, hydration, and powder on your feet. The Army needs you. Crap or get off the pot"

Very Respectfully,

Nate sends

I would reconsider your decision to join if you are this concerned about deployment. Being deployed would be the best experience you could ever hope for. You will be deployed and you will have little control over when and where it will be. That is part of the sacrifice of wearing the uniform and serving.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like that there is no such thing as a "non active duty" PA at this point in time in the military. I really do look forward to the experience I would get on deployment, but you are right, I have been considering and reconsidering. I want both, to be a part of the military and get the experience as well as work and hold on to a good, stable job in the civilian realm. That doesn't sound like it is going to happen right now. Honestly, I feel like I am joining for the "right reasons" but I also have a wife and 3 month old daughter to think about. K

Hey brother, I would never fault someone for having their reservations due to family. I have a wife, a 4 year old and a 6 month old. My deployments have taken a toll on my family. It sounds cliche but the hardships we have endured are a part of the sacrifice they make as well on behalf of the nation. It's not fair and it sure as hell ain't fun. The guard deployments are scaling back but they are still going. There are limitations to how often the guard can be tagged for deployment as well. This is due to what you speak of in civilian employment as well as the fact that the purpose of the guard is stateside missions. Think about it. Make the decision WITH your wife. This is an opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself. If you commit, be ready to serve. We need PAs.

Does anyone know how I can get a deployment anti-deferral into my contract? I need to get back to the box before the show's over... XD

In all seriousness- the only deployment deferral I know about is during school. I lucked out and was left behind during deployment so I could finish PA school (lucky for me), but now I can't wait to get over and function as a PA.

I applaud you for joining- or thinking about it at least. I hope that it works out for you.

Archived