Controlled Substances Course

:xD: Argh I did not realize until 9 pm today 10/6/10 that I failed to register for the controlled substances course that took place today in Palm Springs. I've been searching for other options but they don't seem to meet the strict requirements of the PA committee. Anybody completed a course not advertised on the Capanet website? If not, I suppose I'll be in Napa for the February course...not complaining about that!

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP... as I am packing up and heading west, I thought my wonderfully used DEA number with II-V on the front would suffice, but my new hospital credentialing group let me know I needed the course, I am also stumped besides what seems to be three times a year through CAPA. Anyone with knowledge of any other options?

• 3 months later...

I am reviving this thread to not start a new one....

I have just been hired by a PM&R practice and my SP says I need the most autonomy while writing Sched II. Does this CSE course eliminate the need for cosignatures after 7 days or does that requirement still apply? If the latter, then WTH is the CSE course for when I already have a DEA??

Oh yah it totally sucks that CAPA only offers this a few times a year, I just missed the one yesterday!!! so it looks like I have to wait till April...........

I just took the class this past Sunday in Napa (three days ago)

Answer is, all schedule II Rx's need to have the chart cosigned in 7 days,

The reason for the course is, without having taken the course you are legally supposed to ask your SP EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO WRITE a CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE on a patient by patient basis! There can be no "carte blanche" to use your medical decision making skills! So, if you see Mr O. Osbourne and decide he needs some ambien for sleep, you have to pick up the phone, walk out the door, text, email, instant message or shout really loudly and ask your SP if it is OK to Rx him this medication. This is supposed to be done for every Rx individually. The program was opened with the commentary that most of use are probably Rxing controlled substances illegally without knowing it. After the course is taken, passed and the delineation of practice reflects it, then you can write what you want, when you want, for who you want, as long as SchII have the 7 day cosignature.

Hope that clears things up.

There is nothing listed as verbiage, I think it's a letter of the law kind of deal, that you are just expected to ask permission, and it's reflected in the Delineation of services. That is likely why the opening of the course mentioned that people are typically prescribing illegally before having taken the class; who is going to ask their SP every 20 minutes for permission when no required documentation seems necessary. The class is more designed to educate providers at lowering diversion and abuse risks with these medications as well as the legal aspects to the DOJ and DEA in california, not out of concern that we will cause badness. At least that is what it seems to me. FYI, CA has the CURES system as a Rx monitoring program, they told us it was a challenge to get the log on, (getting your state license, DEA, drivers license notarized etc) So get to work on that, it's a reall time online request of the controlled Rx's a patient has filled at California pharmacys with the prescriber, the pharmacy name, the drug with # and strength. I came from an ER in VA which has a PMP, and it was my favorite weapon to be able to ask patients about their pain medication use, and when I mentioned the 100's of tablets they had just filled they would back peddle and make excuses, good times.

Archived