Advice For Early On Bio Major?

I'm only a sophomore at the start of the second term but I currently have a 2.5 cGPA and despite getting it together early on, I am unsure how high i can raise my GPA. Was wondering what I can do from now on that would give me a better chance at getting into PA school besides bringing my GPA up. I haven't done any shadowing or have any PCE hours yet but I have no one to talk to about this with and am unsure of what steps I should take to maximize my chances. I spoke to one person who recommended either pursuing LPN or EMT to better my chances but have no way of knowing how beneficial that is. If anyone had any advice it would be greatly appreciated so thank you in advance. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:00 PM, AidanM said:

I'm only a sophomore at the start of the second term but I currently have a 2.5 cGPA and despite getting it together early on, I am unsure how high i can raise my GPA. Was wondering what I can do from now on that would give me a better chance at getting into PA school besides bringing my GPA up. I haven't done any shadowing or have any PCE hours yet but I have no one to talk to about this with and am unsure of what steps I should take to maximize my chances. I spoke to one person who recommended either pursuing LPN or EMT to better my chances but have no way of knowing how beneficial that is. If anyone had any advice it would be greatly appreciated so thank you in advance. 

I think you should worry about focusing on increasing your grades and study habits first since those are important to get the hang of to succeed in PA school. I was in a similar situation my first two years of college with struggling with grades but figured out how to study in a way that works for me and am doing great in PA school now.

Also, maybe start shadowing some PAs in the area while in school. It can be hard to get shadowing hours without knowing anyone personally, but I think asking around and reaching out yourself to PAs in the area will increase the chance. After college, I took a year off to work as a MA/Scribe and take extra courses. Working while in college really affected my grades at the beginning, so if you are in a situation where you don't HAVE to work right now, i think it would be beneficial to focus on grades and doing something easier like shadowing first. You got this 🙂

There's no set time limit. I have people in my class who worked other fields for 10 years then switched careers and some who just finished college. If you really want to do it, just put in the work. May take some time but you got this! Hope this helped, good luck!

PA programs want to accept students who they think will get through and pass their boards; if they don't succeed, it reflects poorly on the school and all schools have to post their passing rates.

That said, your prior grades in school probably give programs the best estimate of how you might do in PA school. Obviously there are exceptions (both ways), but now that you know the impact on a school of taking someone who is a risk for success, you can see how important your grades are.

You are about half-way through your undergrad. There should still be a lot you can do to pull up your grades. And you have the option of taking more classes "post grad" as well.

Good luck.