Resources for Interviews?

Hello all,

I am preparing for 2 interviews I have graciously been granted. Reading this and a few books has overwhelmed me with information which is good and bad. I was wondering if anyone had any great resources (with no bias) on the current state of healthcare/Obamacare/etc. I am confused on how to respond to questions about such since it is election year and the Democrats vs. Republicans have such conflicted ideas especially when its comes to Medicare/Medicaid. I don't want to offend anyone and I don't want to approach the questions from the wrong directions. So I guess I am asking, is it better to pretend as if Obamacare will be upheld or what? Also, what are some great resources to make sure I am ready for all questions such as these? I have been keeping up pretty much on what is happening, but with all of the information weighing heavily on me, I wonder where I can refresh and update my knowledge bank?

Thanks!

If you've been keeping up with the news (from multiple sources, not just FOX or NPR) and reading broadly (newspapers, journals, etc), you should be fine. No one expects you to be a policy wonk or to understand everything. Remember that you are entitled to your own opinion.

With that in mind, 2 things. Keep yourself open to the possibility that your perspective and opinion on these topics will evolve as you move through school and enter professional life. If you do that and have that attitude going into interviews, you are much less likely to inadvertently offend someone by expressing strong opinions that they may perceive as uninformed, since you are still a student. Second, call the Affordable Care Act by its name. The term "Obamacare" has a negative connotation, and it's best not to start off by broadcasting your own biases.

;)

Caitlin,

I've had a few interviews this past month, and the Affordable Care Act only came up during one of them. The feeling I got during that question was they were looking to see if I kept up with current events, and that I researched the field I was interviewing for given that the Physician Assistant field requires lifelong dedication. With that being said, the faculty member interviewing you won't be grilling you and taping your response for a 45 second clip on CNN haha. I certainly think it's helpful to look over some sample questions, but my take home advice is to not view the interview as an oral exam you can prepare for. Relax, take a deep breath, and recognize that the admissions committee seen something in your application that they liked and now are wanting to get to know you a little bit more before they reach a decision. I would advise you to have a clearcut answer as to why you want to be a PA, practice a few times answering the question "Tell me a little bit about yourself", and be sure to talk with the current students who will be around throughout the day to really get a feel if the program will be a good fit for you. Best of luck, and congratulations on your interviews!

Oops! I wasn't even trying to show any bias by calling it Obamacare, I heard that President Obama decided the name was ok! Also, yes I would never refer to it that way in interviews, I better start removing media slang from my vocabulary now. I am very open minded and realize that as a 22yo, I am in no way set in my political views and know that my future job as a PA will weigh heavily on those views! Thank you for both responses, I will keep your advice in mind!

Archived