Retaking Classes at a CC - The Discrepancy

So this post is meant to confirm my beliefs and to also ask a question. So I graduated from a 4-year university and would like to retake some classes due to my low GPA. Obviously the first classes to be retaken would be the common prereqs for most PA programs (such as Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, etc.). However, since these courses were originally taken at a 4-year university, they are going to be much more difficult than a class offered at a community college.

The community college that I am looking to retake these classes at offers them as "intro to..." classes. Most of the PA programs I have emailed and people I have asked have told me that it would be fine to take these classes as an act of retaking. Is this True?

Also, please be detailed in your response because it is almost confusing to me how PA programs, as competitive as they are, could accept courses taken at a community college for they seem to be fairly easy. Thank You.

I attend a four year university. We have "intro to..." classes, but these classes do not count for your major. For example, if I took Intro to Anatomy, I would then have to take Anatomy I and II to meet my anatomy requirements. This would make me think that PA schools, if they accept the "intro to" classes, will not look highly on them. If I were you, I would retake your classes at a four year university; but, i this isn't practical to do for whatever reason, I would definitely take the actual classes and not the "into to" classes.

You're going to have to know anatomy and physiology anyways when you get accepted into PA school, so why not prepare yourself to the best of your ability anyways?

Getting into PA programs is very, very competitive. I want my application to be as strong as it can be, and I'm sure you want yours to be the same also (hence why you're retaking classes). So if you're going to spend the money retaking them, I would just take the harder classes and prove to the schools that you are able to get good grades on all the prerequs.

Just my opinion though.

Good luck!

It all depends on the school your applying to. "Intro to" classes will count at most PA schools for their prereq's and I don't agree with you that the classes taken at a CC are easier than at a 4 year school. I took Micro at CC and it was by far one of the harder classes I took because of how demanding the instructor was, I hated how difficult that class was during the semester but when I finished with a 4.0 I was thankful for how tough she was on her students because in the end I walked away learning more. I think that each class is different and if you get a tough instructor at a CC it can be just as hard or harder than the same course at a 4 year school.

Most schools I've seen have a list of course equivilanies from various colleges including JCs. I'd start there to make sure you're taking the correct course. Regarding 4 year science courses being harder, it depends on the professor. My anatomy teacher at a JC I was at briefly was a real stickler and was the hardest teacher Ive ever taken including courses from my masters program. So don't take a JC course with the preconceived notion it's going to be a cake walk compared to a 4 year.

I also have to agree that CC courses aren't necessarily easier than those from a 4 year. I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 at a CC and the teacher had a PhD and had been let go from his university teaching position because over 70% of his class failed! I'm not sure of the stats for my classes, but I'm pretty sure we had quite a few failures as well. I think a lot depends on who teaches the class, regardless of where you go.

Intro classes are different. CC courses arent necessarily easier either.

Make sure to take the right # level though if the programs you plan on applying to require them. The Microbiology course I am taking now at CC is only a 2000 level course but there are some programs out there that require 3000 level Microbio. I am doing all my basic sciences at CC Bio 1-2, Chem 1-2, Micro, A&P 1-2, and a couple buffer classes for GPA mostly online psych courses. I plan on doing Biochem and O-Chem at a 4 year university.

My discrepancy here is that at a community college such as COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS.. some of the courses offered read "intro to microbiology, intro to human physiology, intro to human anatomy" on page 65 if you guys would like to see below

http://www.canyons.edu/info/catalog/issues/20112012.pdf

Another community college i am also interested in is IRVINE VALLEY COLLEGE where the courses are read as simply "human physiology, human anatomy, general microbiology"

http://www.ivc.edu/catalog/Documents/catalog2012/bio.pdf

Do these courses hold the same value in terms of retake (and some just happen to come with the "intro to.." name)? Or do the courses at IRVINE VALLEY COLLEGE hold greater value over the ones taken at COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS? Thank you.

You need to take BIOSCI 204 and 205 (4 units each), which is Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II, or BIOSCI 250 (8 Units) which is a combined A&P I/II. As for Micro, Intro to Micro should be fine.

Check out the link to USC's program (ctl+F, College of The Canyons) Pre-reqs per school, and the one below for Western U. Do some research on the schools you are interested in, and if they don't have a doc like USC or a data base like Western, email a counselor/rep there. A phone call works too.

http://keck.usc.edu/en/Education/Academic_Department_and_Divisions/Physician_Assistant_Program/~/media/Docs/Departments/Physician Assistant Program/Course Equivalencies 071311 (3)/Course Equivalencies 2012.pdf

http://wsprod.westernu.edu/wu/admn_prerequisite/cw_view/view_college_record.jsp?COLLEGE_ID=187&COLLEGE_NAME=C&DEPT_NAME=PA&

However, since these courses were originally taken at a 4-year university, they are going to be much more difficult than a class offered at a community college.

The community college that I am looking to retake these classes at offers them as "intro to..." classes. Most of the PA programs I have emailed and people I have asked have told me that it would be fine to take these classes as an act of retaking. Is this True?

The CC vs 4 year discussion has been hashed out many times on the board, each "side" has their points and it's pretty much futile trying to sway the beliefs of each camp. Personally, I get stuck at you wanting to retake classes that are easier. That isn't re taking, that is taking different classes. It may be in the same subject matter but still different depth of knowledge. My vote is to retake the same, or slightly harder classes. You have now seen all the material. You have now learned of the importance of paying attention. I bet your motivation to do better will be quite high and your grades will reflect that. Don't be turned off by harder class... even though you did poorly the first time, you still learned something that will come back to you.

I have a hard time saying "no, the PA program that you called does NOT know what they are talking about and I, the random internet user, knows the intimate details of every PA school admission process and can tell you that THEY ARE WRONG!" If you talk to people in the admissions office of a PA program and they tell you that your new direction is ok, well...what answer do you want? If you disagree or don't believe the answer that the people in charge tell you, what answer do you want?

Gotta back Steve on this. The argument that a university/4-year is somehow better than a CC is a non-argument. Heck...the oldest truth that finally came out is that while it's hard to get in to Harvard, no one fails out.

That said, if there's a program you're looking at, they will know (or will assess) what courses at a CC will articulate to their prerequisites. Knowingly taking easier classes (i.e. intro classes) instead of the actual articulating classes only shows that you're just artificially boosting your GPA with the added hit that these do not count for satisfying prereq's.

Start with about 4-5 programs you're interested in. Verify their prereq's. If they're all in California, THEY WILL HAVE articulation agreements with every CC in the state. Retake them, you'll likely do better. The school's know if all you're doing is taking basket weaving to boost your GPA.

Rich

Archived