Struggling to figure out my next steps

Hey friends! Terrified of posting here but I would appreciate some input on my current application. I applied to 6 schools for the 2022-2023 cycle but due to my GPA my hopes aren’t too high. Not posting to ask what my chances are, but instead I’d like to know if there is anything you would recommend to make my application stronger for next cycle. Currently considering a pretty expensive formal post bacc program to begin fall 2023, however I am not entirely sure if this is the right move. I am also unsure if my scribe/MA experience is enough (although I am pretty hands on and have plenty of patient contact), or if I should start an EKG or phlebotomy program to gain more “significant” clinical experience. 

Some backstory: Moved to the US during middle school and struggled in school through most of it. Towards the later part of my academic career, I grew as a student and made significant improvements that earned me grades I feel are more representative of my current academic abilities. 

After high school, I hadn’t figured out what to study but mistakenly kept taking classes causing me to earn a high number of units. As a result of this, my overall GPA is extremely hard to move, but I’m not opposed to continuing to show improvement through taking more classes. 

CASPA CALCULATED GPA:

BCP Totals:                                     3.23

Overall Non-Science:                 2.99 - Psych 101 grade not yet posted, should reach +3.0 after

Cumulative Undergraduate:   3.08

Including 15 Post-bac units:

Last 60 units:     3.56

Last 45 units:     3.69

No GRE

LOR:

2 doctors, 1 Professor, 1 counselor 

PCE: 

3000 hours as a scribe/medical assistant at an orthopedic clinic - still working here 

HCE:

2700 hours as a Spanish medical interpreter during undergrad

Volunteer/leadership experience: 

• 500 hours volunteering at children mental health clinic

• Research assistant at same clinic - 2 poster presentations as 2nd author 

• Private tutor for 2 non-traditional, career changing students

• Vice president of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology chapter in undergrad

Post-bacc - 15 Units completed - 4.0 GPA

• General chemistry I (retake from a C in undergrad) 

• Physiology

• Medical terminology

• Psych 101 (retake from C in undergrad)

Shadowing:

80 hours of shadowing an orthopedic PA at my current scribe job

In-Progress:

• Will soon start studying for the GRE

• Continuing to add PCE hours as a scribe

• Registered to take a 3-unit developmental psychology course to meet a requirement for Western Michigan PA program

Pre-req grades:

Anatomy                    B  

Physiology                A

Microbiology            

Organic chem I        C

Organic chem II       A

Statistics                    A

Gen chem I                 A (retake from a C)

Gen chem II                C

Biology I                       A

Biology II                      B

Psych 101                    A (retake from a C)

I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice on what steps I should take! 

Edited by lostprepastudent

First of all, the application cycle for this year isn’t over yet! I’ve seen many applicants receive interviews later in fall or early spring and get accepted for that school year they applied to so don’t lose hope! 

secondly, honestly your stats so far are great! You have the PCE/HCE experience needed and you have also shadowed! Your LORs are in and I’m sure they are up to par as who you are as a person. You haven’t taken the GRE yet and not sure what your personal statement was but those would be the 2 things I would focus on, especially your personal statement next cycle if you apply again next year! 

Programs look into a lot more than GPA, but there are also quite a few schools who look at the last 30/45/60 credit hours which in your case is where your GPA improves! I think you have a good chance! 

Me personally, I didn’t do to well on the GRE but my gpa was cGPA 3.7 science gpa 3.6 and I got accepted recently ..so my point is just because one area lacks doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. 

My advice is just to keep adding to your CV and accomplishments. Keep up the PCE and make sure your PS is well written and thought out.. like I said gpa isn’t all they look at.. and consider applying to schools that look at the last credit hours if you are still uneasy. But In my opinion I think you have a great chance just like anyone else! 

BEST of luck to you!!! 

Prioritize your GPA and GRE. Retake classes, continue ed. Either continue taking classes for another couple semesters without official post bacc or with the post bacc. You have enough and sufficient PCE, doing more of that will not help you but still important to keep your contacts/LOR. Drop down to part time or prn, get A’s in your courses, if you can afford it. Focus on your academics.