Accepted but waiting on first choice

Hi everyone! Hoping I could get some advice. I have been accepted to a program, but I interviewed with my first choice program in June and have yet to hear anything. I have heard it can be good to reach out to your top choice program and let them know you have another acceptance, but would prefer to go to their program. Is this a good idea or too pushy? Has anyone had any experience with this?

I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty well known that applicants apply to multiple schools and may be choosing between different programs so letting them know that you got another acceptance isn't likely to sway them.

Instead, I'd consider perhaps sending them an update on what you've accomplished since the interview IF it adds to your application. I would also make sure it's been several months before sending an update, especially if they gave you a deadline or timeline for when to expect something.

For example: you got promoted at work, you completed a new certification/license, you spent all the summer shadowing a new PA and now have 50 hours to add, you went on a medical mission trip, etc. If it's been 6ish months (so later this fall) you could send a general update. But either way I wouldn't mention other acceptances.

• Upvote 1

At least you have been accepted to a program that apparently you were will to go to since you applied there. Sometimes you end up having to pay a deposit to keep your spot and while you wait for another school to accept you. It seems like a waste of money but it holds open your options which, in life, is often a good thing. I ended up paying two deposits to the same school that in the end I didn't attend when a better option opened up for me.