Thoughts on attending provisional programs? Prestige versus cost?

Hello all,

Would anyone like to share any thoughts regarding attending a newer program (provisional accreditation)? I have a very good problem to have... I so far have been invited to interview at both my top "reach" school (ranked top five in the country and extremely small acceptance rate) as well as a new program that is in my backyard. To further complicate the issue, the newer program is public and I could graduate very close to debt free. I would be in the newer program's second matriculating class. From what I gather, it sounds like a pretty good program (cadaver lab, some unique features of the program, good SIM labs, etc.). 

Assuming I am fortunate enough to be accepted to both, what would you choose? It would be hard to turn down a spot at such a prestigious program, but living at home and graduating practically debt free is a dream to many pre-PA's. Should I be leery of provisional programs?

On 8/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, longmaythepareign said:

Hello all,

Would anyone like to share any thoughts regarding attending a newer program (provisional accreditation)? I have a very good problem to have... I so far have been invited to interview at both my top "reach" school (ranked top five in the country and extremely small acceptance rate) as well as a new program that is in my backyard. To further complicate the issue, the newer program is public and I could graduate very close to debt free. I would be in the newer program's second matriculating class. From what I gather, it sounds like a pretty good program (cadaver lab, some unique features of the program, good SIM labs, etc.). 

Assuming I am fortunate enough to be accepted to both, what would you choose? It would be hard to turn down a spot at such a prestigious program, but living at home and graduating practically debt free is a dream to many pre-PA's. Should I be leery of provisional programs?

I went to a provisionally accredited program with the first graduating class graduating after I started. It turned out to be a great experience. To me, the big thing is whether or not the faculty (especially the director) have a good track record in PA education. 

I'm not a huge believer in prestige schools. Assuming you can evaluate the risk of the new program, its faculty, and rotations, it sounds worth considering.

Good luck!