FAILING A CLASS

Hey, I could really use some advice right now. I just started PA school a month and a half ago and I have already failed a class. I got a 64 on the first exam and a 50 on the second. I studied extremely hard for both of these tests. I spent hours and hours at the library (I still do). I have pretty bad ADHD and my medicine hasn’t been working as efficiently, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse for my failure because I honestly just feel like this is all on me and maybe I’m not intelligent enough to be here. I am terrified of failing again and than getting kicked out. If I fail now than I can’t fail again in the future and it’s only gonna get harder (Not that I am wanting to fail but it’s a huge safety net I wouldn’t have anymore.) I am still adjusting, it’s only been 1.5 months and I feel like I’ve already completely blown my chance at success. I’ve tried different ways of studying but I feel like I am having such a hard time fully conceptualizing topics/processes as well as memorizing everything to the extent it needs to be. I do everything. I get to school at 8 in the morning and don’t leave until 12 at night. I feel like such a huge idiot and disappoint. I’m so scared I am going to get kicked out over a rough start. I’d really appreciate any advice:(

Not understanding why you needed to post this twice. But take a deep breath, hold it, and relax. Be calm. When you panic you make poor decisions. like CAAdmission asked, Have you talked to your advisor? They can help discuss other study techniques, tell you where you need to focus your attention on in terms of studying, and even help you set up a different testing environment to accommodate your ADHD. Have you talked to members in your cohort and asked how they study? maybe your classmates can offer some guidance on what to focus on or even inform you on resources/tools (ex. ANKI)  they are using that you were not aware of.  Try not to burn your brain out trying to remember EVERYTHING. focus on the key stuff. Example for any pathology: What is it? What causes it? What does it look like? how do you evaluate/diagnose it? How do you manage it? Don't use long drawn out sentences to answer every one of those questions, just short phrases or words. You have too much to cover in a short period to remember everything. DONT CRAM. Focus on the key concepts and "buzz phrases/words". 

I'll end this comment with something that unexpectedly helped me during PA school. You don't have to follow this advise but it helped me so maybe it might help you.  I struggled with studying too, and my advisor suggested the Audiobook "Make it stick" by Peter Brown. This audiobook changed the way I saw studying and it taught me different ways I can approach studying and helpful guidance that make learning more efficient and effective. I was a victim of my own belief that my studying habits from undergrad would see me through PA school.  I had to learn how to learn. Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey PM me if you want to talk about it. I was in a situation like you and also suffer from mental health problems. I thought that I was gonna fail out in each of my semesters but by the grace of God I managed to pull through and just completed my didactic year a day ago. Maybe I can provide you with some tips to ease your situation. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 11:02 PM, Dizon said:

Hey PM me if you want to talk about it. I was in a situation like you and also suffer from mental health problems. I thought that I was gonna fail out in each of my semesters but by the grace of God I managed to pull through and just completed my didactic year a day ago. Maybe I can provide you with some tips to ease your situation. 

Could I also PM you?